Mill upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripturner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just had the Good Fortune of obtaining Stihl 090 to use for milling. This saw will replace the 064 that I had been using with a Granberg small log Mill. This particular Mill was designed for use with a 20 inch bar or less. My plan is to buy the necessary parts to make it a full size Mill. The parts I need come to a total of around $180. Just For fun I decided to browse the offerings on eBay and see if I could obtain a used Granberg Mill for less than it would cost to Simply upgrade mine. What I discovered was that I could purchase a knockoff of that particular Granberg Mill for about $120 less than it will cost me to upgrade when I already have. My thought was to buy American and support our own economy. For that much money saved though I could invest that in ripping chain which I will need for this upgrade. I'm not sure if you can call it a moral dilemma or just making the dollar stretch but I am certainly at a loss as for what to do. In another post on this site a man had made the comment that the Chinese stuff was getting better and the major manufacturers of saws should probably keep their prices on machines and parts in check before they wind up losing the market share. Has anybody else considered the cost savings over just biting the bullet and buying American?

Granbergs quality is far from perfect or even ideal. I have trouble with the round rail clamps being too soft and requiring a screwdriver to open them (which makes a mess of them).
They also are overpriced and frankly kinda too similar to knock offs for the price.

What's nice about Granberg is the system is modular.
One can buy longer/shorter rails, extra cross bracing, wheels, winches, and oilers etc.
American? yes! ..... but, ...They take a week minimum to ship anything (then add shipping time) and Issues are not resolved quickly.
There is some weight for your conscience :D

I have a knockoff. I do not have a Granberg to compare but it SEEMS to be as true copy - specced the same size all the way. I'm just guessing here, but I think all Granberg accessories would work on the knockoff.

I will say that the metal quality of the knockoff may. Be inferior. Don't tighten the bolts too tight without adding washers. Welds on the nose guard bolt sleeves broke. I mill solo so it's okay for now but Gonna order a granberg nose guard replacement and hope it fits.
I think it will.

It has met my milling needs for now and the cut has stayed true thus far. Gonna build my own sturdier mill this Winter during the rains.

Granbergs quality is far from perfect or even ideal. I have trouble with the round rail clamps being too soft and requiring a screwdriver to open them (which makes a mess of them).
They also are overpriced and frankly kinda too similar to knock offs for the price.

What's nice about Granberg is the system is modular.
One can buy longer/shorter rails, extra cross bracing, wheels, winches, and oilers etc.
American? yes! ..... but, ...They take a week minimum to ship anything (then add shipping time) and Issues are not resolved quickly.
There is some weight for your conscience :D
Certainly food for thought.

I have a knockoff. I do not have a Granberg to compare but it SEEMS to be as true copy - specced the same size all the way. I'm just guessing here, but I think all Granberg accessories would work on the knockoff.

I will say that the metal quality of the knockoff may. Be inferior. Don't tighten the bolts too tight without adding washers. Welds on the nose guard bolt sleeves broke. I mill solo so it's okay for now but Gonna order a granberg nose guard replacement and hope it fits.
I think it will.

It has met my milling needs for now and the cut has stayed true thus far. Gonna build my own sturdier mill this Winter during the rains.
Which version do you have? The dirt cheap ones on ebay have no "brand" but the price makes it very tempting.

Mine is the "branded" Holzfforama 48". Probably the highest priced knockoff. I doubt it matters because I don't think Holzfforma/Farmertech is a manufacturer - just distributor.

Again, the metal is pretty soft. I don't expect it to hold up a long time, but no warping or bowing thus far on critical areas

As luck would have it I managed to purchase a Granberg Mill package with auxiliary Oiler, chain grinder, helper handle, double ended bar, and to ripping chains brand new in the package. This package had been purchased by an acquaintance of mine 16 years ago and it was never used. I looked it up and found out that I had truly gotten a great deal considering the price I paid. In the long run it was still more than the price of a knock off but I believe it will be adequate to my needs.

Attachments

• 20191008_171357.jpg
    20191008_171357.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20191008_171335.jpg
    20191008_171335.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20191008_171342.jpg
    20191008_171342.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Granbergs quality is far from perfect or even ideal....

I'd contrary your post, the major difference between the original Granberg and the knock offs are the CNC machined aluminum base parts - and it makes all the difference in the world.

You have one of those pressure aluminum molded base parts your chain bar will be just as straight as an unhappy snake when the fittings are tightened.

Back