Milled an unknown wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this isn’t walnut although I was told it was when I originally got the wood. I do know it’s in the same family. This log sat for 2 years or so before I milled it today and there is all sorts of spalting and colors happening inside! Very cool slabs, blew through them on one tank with the 880!CA70BBA5-D231-40B5-91BD-59C8C118C281.jpeg891AD629-CEF8-4EB7-AB64-F1E7F551E770.jpeg59060A4F-A5AE-489D-ADF7-8E1DE26D87E7.jpeg

No pictures of either. Bark was similar and dark like walnut, tree produced spikey balls/fruit as well. This has been a few years back when it was standing.

my brother actually took a sweet gum tree down that I milled! First one I’ve ever seen, the wood is a little different than this one though. I know it’s a similar tree and there’s 5-6 to choose from. Not sure I’ll ever get it narrowed down. It looks cool so that’s the main thing haha.

Looks like it had opposite branch arrangement, lots of included bark, looks like Silver maple to me.

Definitely not maple, it was the crotch of a tree off the main trunk. Sycamore, sweet gum, chestnut, plains tree, all options. It’s got to be one of those.

Got any pictures of the spiky balls? Should be able to tell sweet gum from chestnut. I would call chestnut spiky seed pods rather than balls, but it could be possible. Chestnut would have two or three nuts inside.

The tree has been down for 2 years or so, this log was the last of it to be milled.

Chinese Chestnut would be possible. I have never milled any and i am not familiar with the wood. Information I have seen is that it looks rather like oak.

There is a chestnut within a couple miles of me that was taken down (power line clearing I think) a couple months ago and is still lying in firewood size rounds. It is along a road, but in someone's yard. I want it, but don't need the wood, don't much have the time or space to deal with it and am still working on two trees we had taken down.

I'm with the Chesnut crowd.. The spikey seed pods are a good key as well as the colour. Gum trees (eucalyptus) are not that common in the PNW.download.jpg

It was in an old house built in the 40’s or earlier. I’m sure it was a chestnut remember what I could about the tree and seeing that picture. Real similar at least. Here in the PNW knocking on Canada’s door the only maple we have is big leaf and looks nothing like this. Sometime you get them looking even better if you’re lucky!

Just cut some maple today. Sure looks a lot like your stuff, but I haven’t milled it.
I still think maple, and the spike balls came from something else.

Attachments

• D3E413FE-63D8-4DCA-8562-658EF25FF83D.jpeg
    D3E413FE-63D8-4DCA-8562-658EF25FF83D.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 14
  • E35BB8C9-D08F-49CA-9B8D-530BCFE81D02.jpeg
    E35BB8C9-D08F-49CA-9B8D-530BCFE81D02.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 14
  • CF072B16-84C2-44D3-A568-1BFBBC7419FB.jpeg
    CF072B16-84C2-44D3-A568-1BFBBC7419FB.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 14
For the last time it isn’t maple!!!! I’ve milled more maple than anything and this isn’t maple. I grew up next to the tree and maple is one of the more popular species in this area. As stated before we have big leaf maple in the PNW and it looks absolutely nothing like the maple you have in your pictures. You state it looks like the maple you have which it almost does, but for the last time I’m letting you know it’s 100% not maple! It’s sycamore, chestnut, etc. I know the general family of tree it is, just don’t know which specific one. The spiked balls came from this tree and not another one, the texture and smell of the wood isn’t even close to maple either. Rant over haha

For the last time it isn’t maple!!!! I’ve milled more maple than anything and this isn’t maple. I grew up next to the tree and maple is one of the more popular species in this area. As stated before we have big leaf maple in the PNW and it looks absolutely nothing like the maple you have in your pictures. You state it looks like the maple you have which it almost does, but for the last time I’m letting you know it’s 100% not maple! It’s sycamore, chestnut, etc. I know the general family of tree it is, just don’t know which specific one. The spiked balls came from this tree and not another one, the texture and smell of the wood isn’t even close to maple either. Rant over haha
I can see Sycamore.

Send a sample in the USDA, they'll identify it for free, minus postage of course. Center for wood anatomy research. I sent a sample and and got a response in about a week.

Back