Milling 3120 XP leaks chain oil through muffler, any hints.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anniwoodlator

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 2020 model 3120 XP still leaks chain oil through muffler. I've tested it for pressure, vacuum and compression and everything is working fine. Any suggestions?

I'm assuming you mean it blows out the muffler while it's running? How much? Are you positive it's bar oil?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Yes, it is bar oil combined with exhaust carbon residue. Not a lot but enough to drip down the muffler fins.

Yes, I applied seven pounds of pressure with cap off for three minutes using a mityvac and needle remained steady. Could it be a defective oiler excessively lubricating the crankshaft pin hole?

Yes, I applied seven pounds of pressure with cap off for three minutes using a mityvac and needle remained steady. Could it be a defective oiler excessively lubricating the crankshaft pin hole?
No way bar oil is getting inside the muffler through the oiler. If it's oiling excessively, it could be spraying up onto the muffler, but tha even seems far fetched. What pinhole are you talking about?

There's a little hole on the side of the crankshaft where the clutch meets the oiler. That hole creates a vacuum which brings bar oil all the way into the crankshaft to lubricate the bearings. Maybe that bar oil is making it's way up into the piston as well.

I had a 390XP that I knew had a leak between the tank & crankcase. Took me 3 goes to find it... didn't show up under pressure/vac... didn't make bubbles underwater... only became apparent when everything was hot. Got loctite to whick into it when it was hot & under vacuum & it appears to have fixed it but I haven't put the saw back to work yet.

I had a 390XP that I knew had a leak between the tank & crankcase. Took me 3 goes to find it... didn't show up under pressure/vac... didn't make bubbles underwater... only became apparent when everything was hot. Got loctite to whick into it when it was hot & under vacuum & it appears to have fixed it but I haven't put the saw back to work yet.

My 3120 xp doesn't get hot but shots out bar oil from the muffler. Thought of that too and replaced crankcase gasket for a new thicker one. I believe the crankshaft lube hole one way valve is broken and is suctioning air and bar oil into the engine.

Its only there to lube the clutch bearing, you need to plug it to do a vac/pressure test. For your bar oil issue you most likely need to replace your crankcase gasket.

Its only there to lube the clutch bearing, you need to plug it to do a vac/pressure test. For your bar oil issue you most likely need to replace your crankcase gasket.
I did change the gasket and it's sealing, used my thumb to plug it and pressure/vac tested it for three minutes and gauge needle remained steady, but still there's oil coming out of the muffler. Oil/gas mix ratio is fine too. How would you plug it?

I thought the crank bearings were lubed with the oil in the fuel. If there is a hole in the crank into the crankcase, how did it not leak during your pres/vac test? OK, you caught one with your trolling BS. Glad the ignore button still works.
I apologize for this earlier post and have asked for it to be deleted and sent an apology via PM. I was not myself when it was made.

Latest posts

Back