Milling Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did a little milling this morning. A friend dropped off four large Ash logs - 20 - 29" dia., 7-8' long. Got one milled and looks like pretty nice grain. I will probably flatten one edge and join two slabs for a wide table. The SP125C did a great job - again. I'm just using regular ground chain. I dropped these for him at a house he's flipping. He already had the tops removed so I only had to deal with the stems. First one was tough. I had it notched. bored, wedged, and back cut and it would not go down. I had wedges stacked in the cut and it was leaning probably 15 - 29 deg and still would not go down. There was only about 3/4" hinge and the center was rotted. 20201112_103344_resized.jpg20201112_103402_resized.jpg

These were dead standing with bark on for about four years and some outer spots got a little punky. I milled to 2" because it's all I could handle by myself. Yes, I will be sealing the ends. I'm goin to try a different surface treatment. I've seen furniture where they purposely left the marks from the the sawmill blade, just smoothed over slightly. It gave it a really nice rustic look.

1605266484780.png

Milled the last log today so I thought I'd get a video - since I don't know when I'll be milling again. Took about 4 min per slab - about 24" to 28" wide, 2" thick. Dang, I like how that SP125c runs. I bumped the kill switch partway through - that's the stumble you hear.

Always amazes me the amount of sawdust that piles up, especially in an area I don’t want that much sawdust in!

Back