Milling ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a nice straight ash log. guessing it is about 16-18 diameter. Was thinking about milling it with my chainsaw mill but not sure yet. It was a dead standing wind fall.

You guys ever mill ash?

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

My hardwood floor is all ash that my buddy and I milled on his bandsaw mill. Turned out real nice.

I have never tried it with the chainsaw mill yet. Wanna get a log someday and try.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I have a nice straight ash log. guessing it is about 16-18 diameter. Was thinking about milling it with my chainsaw mill but not sure yet. It was a dead standing wind fall.

You guys ever mill ash?

Mill it up and see how it turns out.
Give us pics before and after.

I milled several over the last few years. It may go the way of the American Chestnut so I'm milling anything large. At this point, if it has been dead standing with the bark in place for a couple years, it may be getting punky at the edges. I had some splitting but that's not a problem with live-edge table tops.

Attachments

• 20201112_103344_resized.jpg
    20201112_103344_resized.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201112_103402_resized.jpg
    20201112_103402_resized.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 33
IMO, Ash is a great hardwood. I haven’t been able to slab any yet but have some 20” spalted ash cookies- made a coworker a knife throwing target out of one. I think the Amish work with ash quite frequently

I've milled it with my 066. Strong and light, makes good timbers too.

It's nice wood if it hasn't started to rot, not much decay resistance. Look for punky material when you buck the log. It also end checks so seal the ends as soon as you buck the log up and dry/stack it out of direct sunlight.

I made a firewood rack out of some 4" X 4" using mortice and tenon joinery.

scb Sh M+T copy.jpgwood rack.jpgscb woodrck copy.jpg

I've milled it with my 066. Strong and light, makes good timbers too.

It's nice wood if it hasn't started to rot, not much decay resistance. Look for punky material when you buck the log. It also end checks so seal the ends as soon as you buck the log up and dry/stack it out of direct sunlight.

I made a firewood rack out of some 4" X 4" using mortice and tenon joinery.

View attachment 914909View attachment 914910View attachment 914911

NICE!

You guys ever mill ash?

just did one in June this year, it was 22 inch diameter, all my CSM could handle. Cut the slabs 3 inches thick ( wont do that again ) It was my first log with my Alaskan mill, Im hooked. The wood dries quick, its all stickered and stacked out of the weather, heavy cracks is top slabs. I have found out in milling that you seal the logs ASAP, cut and stack ASAP and try to forget about them for a year. I ve heard people say, Ash is Cash !!!

just did one in June this year, it was 22 inch diameter, all my CSM could handle. Cut the slabs 3 inches thick ( wont do that again ) It was my first log with my Alaskan mill, Im hooked. The wood dries quick, its all stickered and stacked out of the weather, heavy cracks is top slabs. I have found out in milling that you seal the logs ASAP, cut and stack ASAP and try to forget about them for a year. I ve heard people say, Ash is Cash !!!

I never did it. The log was rotten in the middle.

Why you not like 3” slabs? Bit heavy eh?

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Made the same mistake last year with a 3" slab. Cut back to 2" after the first one.

Made the same mistake last year with a 3" slab. Cut back to 2" after the first one.

Yah

Im thinking 2” with the white oak im hopefully going to get. Should be able to make a really nice sized stack of 9’ long boards out of it.

24” diameter with zero branches for 50’ and almost perfectly straight

It seems 9’ is a common length for thick slabs

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

You guys ever mill ash?

I killed some a couple years ago. It went pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_20191014_161657.jpg
    IMG_20191014_161657.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200127_181058.jpg
    IMG_20200127_181058.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20191014_180526.jpg
    IMG_20191014_180526.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20191226_161943.jpg
    IMG_20191226_161943.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190831_173044.jpg
    IMG_20190831_173044.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200127_180729.jpg
    IMG_20200127_180729.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200127_180710.jpg
    IMG_20200127_180710.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 9
A farmer friend had 68 Ash die on her farm, Dept of Agriculture was giving her a fit for her cows getting into the river that runs through her property. Most of the Ash had grown along the fence, leaning over the river. She was afraid they would start falling and take out the fence and let the cows in the water. First year I milled a couple logs. Milled easy and was very nice looking slabs. I had to get the trees down and milling was too slow, so I switched over to firewood. Last year I milled one and the dang EAB had dug tunnels all through the wood. Still made interesting slabs. Figured I'd mill more this year, nope. The wood looked dry rotted. When I dropped some 28" to 30" trees, the logs just snapped in pieces where ever there was a bump on the ground. No normal rot, just dry like compressed powder. Bout done with the Ash and switching back to Oak. Looking for pics I found this one. It was a Tulip Poplar that fell across my in-laws back yard. These were the first slabs I milled and the first project I built.

Back