Milling Birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve only seen the white and didn’t know about black. That’s similar to the inside of white. I did one about 2 years and it air dried to 13-16 percent in 1 3/4 years at 3” thick and 6’ long. I cut into it about a month ago and got some stored inside now and going to make a chair with it soon for my dinner table.

It could very well still be white. Here in the PNW we have a lot of birch that is white bark and pretty clear grain unless it’s very old then it obtains some dark heartwood. We have fewer of these birch though that only grow in wet areas and shaded by other trees. It could be a result of growing conditions that makes their bark turn dark grey, take on more density (harder to mill), and grow a larger and darker heartwood. The two that I’ve milled were growing under tall cedars and firs. I’ve seen others in the edges of conifer trees as well.

I kind of took the granberg idea and build a better setup. Using all stainless I fabbed up a frame with some rollers and ripped a 2x8 to fit between the rails. Glides along effortlessly, just need to stop and clear the sawdust every now and then so the rollers don’t A4095314-FAB3-4FE2-BCA3-72CCB905DB48.jpeg14AE5285-0450-4390-8DFA-816094881649.jpeg1DBF6B2E-70A4-4B61-860D-6CA9A3E564F5.jpegclimb off the board.

Work has a scrap pile I’ll go through often, definitely a benefit to making stuff like this.

I'd be surprised if 1x10s and 12s will be flat when dry. Best bet will be to weigh down the stack.

We usually do 1x4s, maybe 1x6s in birch. It's really bad for twisting, curling, cupping, splitting, etc.

They’ll be getting weight on them for sure. Got cherry and alder to do still as well. Splitting is the biggest battle I’ve had with birch in the past.

I've milled some birch in the PNW too, its really nice wood to work with when its dry. Hard(er), but machines well and it can have some nice figure.

I think it’s an underdog of species to use here. Maple is the highly sought after one, fir close behind. An old birch or alder will have plenty of character and right up there with maple as far as character.

What would be appropriate drying time for birch?
I milled 2-1/4"x13"x9' planks in Nov 2019, stacked them with slats for spacers inside a shed.

Plan is to make a table (or 2) with them.

I sorta had in mind to wait another year on them?

I kind of took the granberg idea and build a better setup. Using all stainless I fabbed up a frame with some rollers and ripped a 2x8 to fit between the rails. Glides along effortlessly, just need to stop and clear the sawdust every now and then so the rollers don’t climb off the board.
Wow! I want one.

What would be appropriate drying time for birch?
I milled 2-1/4"x13"x9' planks in Nov 2019, stacked them with slats for spacers inside a shed.

Plan is to make a table (or 2) with them.

I sorta had in mind to wait another year on them?
I have heard 1 year for every inch in thickness. So for your stuff 2.25 years should do it. Also when you bring it inside you might want to gradually change its environment. As in don’t bring it from a cold shed into a warm shop right away, run the shop cool at first and gradually bring it up to temperature otherwise it may move or check on you.

Hope this helps :).

Back