Milling saw recommendations 390 vs 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weight is not so bad on the mill, and that weight is nice thick steel where is counts and will be appreciated. I think for 'your' situation you certainly bought the 'right' saw. No finicky carb electronics, just proven tech that works. I want to stash a 395xp in a box before the EPA removes them from the shelves.

Start using a ladder and find a way to mount the ladder so that it is solidly anchored to the log. Give yourself about a foot and a half of lead on the ladder in and out to get a board with no planning snipe.
Putting the mill directly on top of a log doesn’t work very well, you end up making pieces that are that much more work to be finished properly on the bench

Start using a ladder and find a way to mount the ladder so that it is solidly anchored to the log. Give yourself about a foot and a half of lead on the ladder in and out to get a board with no planning snipe.
Putting the mill directly on top of a log doesn’t work very well, you end up making pieces that are that much more work to be finished properly on the bench
Yes good call... Would add, the lead overhang of the ladder may vary by mill design.
On my Granberg for example, I need minimum 8"overhang on the starting side of log and can get by with 5" overhang on the finish end of log.
It's good to collect some old ladders at Garage sales.
Having already found a cheap 20' ladder, late this past summer, I found a 32' extension ladder for $20...
Now I have 10' and 16' "rail sets" for a total of under $50.

I both envy don't envy you guys with lots of hardwoods to mill.
Would love to have the materials but not the task of milling them.
Running Cedar is so easy.. bigleaf maple not so much... even though it's relatively soft as hardwoods go.

Cedars can go really wide.
This one is almost 3' at butt end.
Next month I'm set to pull down a 46"DBH cedar... Hopefully it's as solid as this one.
Pardon me....Enough about my stuff. :D

48601594822_248cf221bf_b.jpg

48621065413_da5e818886_b.jpg

I did use a ladder . I notched it for the runners so it wouldn't move and used some pailing wire to secure the ladder to the cleats20191121_125930.jpg 20191121_125937.jpg

Latest posts

Back