• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy milling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamQ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to this world and looking for a good milling saw to process some hickory and cedar currently, but looking for a utility saw that will last. I am open to offers and suggestions...

I haven’t settled on a particular make/model yet. I would like 90+cc (bigger is better right?) but don’t want to spend an arm and a leg since I’m just getting into it. Would like to stay under $600 if possible...bottom line is looking for the right deal.

for $600ish you can probly find a older 394/395xp or ms066 but they wont be new if your not scared of 30+yr old saws you my find a 2100/2101xp or if your in north FL you my find a P100 lots of poulan there

Ps all aboard the CAD train :laugh:

In Stihl 056, 076, 070, 066, 660, 661, 084, 088, 880, 090
In Husky 2100, 288, 390, 394, 395, 3120
In Jonsered 2188, 2095, 930 super
All good saws. Spend extra to get a saw with fresh seals, rings etc. OEM cylinder is mandatory.
Some things that are nice but not critical:
Chain Brake
In board sprocket
Big air filter
Interchangeable bars
High output oiler
Half wrap handle
Easily removable dogs

If I had it to do over again, I would probably get a 661.
Good Luck!

thanks, I had looked at that saw, but would prefer OEM and not ported at this time...

It is OEM. Don’t be raising questions that aren’t even valid. Some people read that **** and don’t even take a second look at my ad. The saw is 100% OEM. It’s just a OEM 390 that had an OEM 385 top end installed cause the 390 top end had met it’s day. I wouldn’t use a 385/390 for everyday milling either but I mill occasionally with them and they are enough to do whatever milling I need done.

It is OEM. Don’t be raising questions that aren’t even valid. Some people read that **** and don’t even take a second look at my ad. The saw is 100% OEM. It’s just a OEM 390 that had an OEM 385 top end installed cause the 390 has met it’s day. I wouldn’t use a 385/390 for everyday milling either but I mill occasionally with them and they are enough to do whatever milling I need done.
Sorry, I must have misread/misunderstood.

Would like to stay under $600 if possible...bottom line is looking for the right deal.
Just as with many things, if you don't pay much you don't expect much, and in the end you don't typically get as much.
I personally buy good quality products in good condition for a fair price and do very well. Even if I realize it's not exactly what I want or I want try something different for the fun of it I just sell what I have and rarely at a loss.
I prefer all oe as well, but have no problem with a low hr saw that has an aftermarket piston for a work saw, but for a milling saw I would want a saw known for durability, Ketchup gave a good list of those saws(I would personally opt for the newer ones and one in original oe condition myself).

I'm new to this world and looking for a good milling saw to process some hickory and cedar currently, but looking for a utility saw that will last. I am open to offers and suggestions...
Why not save the cash and haul the logs to a sawmill, or find a portable to come to you. A $1000 will get a bunch of logs turned into lumber! Enough for every aspect of a 2000sqft home. After you try sawing a hickory you'll know what I mean ;) cedar will be easy though.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

ya im with westcoaster90 I wouldn’t use a 385/390 for everyday milling. that said its one of my fav saw lines and is ok for light milling from time to time but if its for just milling or for milling 36in+ then id go with a 394/395xp or ms066 if you can find one

ya im with westcoaster90 I wouldn’t use a 385/390 for everyday milling. that said its one of my fav saw lines and is ok for light milling from time to time but if its for just milling or for milling 36in+ then id go with a 394/395xp or ms066 if you can find one
thanks!

Why not save the cash and haul the logs to a sawmill, or find a portable to come to you. A $1000 will get a bunch of logs turned into lumber! Enough for every aspect of a 2000sqft home. After you try sawing a hickory you'll know what I mean ;) cedar will be easy though.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
I've researched the sawmill option and with the volume I have, the logistics, and the pricing in my area, a portable mill is a better option for me at this time. I've also researched the lower end bandsaw mills and compared quality, cost, etc... with chainsaw milling and the CSM is the route that works best for me currently (unless some crazy deal on a BSM came along). My long term plans also include much more milling, so a good investment up front will pay dividends over time.

Latest posts

Back