Milling with my MS660 big Bore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjudd

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here is a video of me milling a grey birch with my new to me and freshly rebuilt MS660. The chain was in need of a sharpening but I want to get a video of it cutting before it got to dark.

This will be my second summer milling. I am working on milling a cherry tree as well to eventually turn into kitchen cabinets. This site ha been a great help on learning ways to make CSM even funner.

Thanks for posting the vid, 'tis indeed "fun".
With that slope/saw arrangement the mill should self feed with no pressure.
For something like a Birch of that size I would imagine running 8 - 9º rakers and 45º hook?

One of the reasons I like to use a throttle lock and log rails for every cut is I can scatter wedges down in between the rails and then there is no need to pause cutting to insert a wedge.

On my next milling adventure I was going to know the rackers down some. I was getting "dustier" saw dust then I would like to see. With a freshly sharpened chain. I have a a spruce to cut next before I get to the next piece of birch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tonight's milling setup

e13c846ef24ff61eeaed2f835d5107a2.jpg

Racker question. With this setup. The saw needed very little pressure to mill the spruce. Do I keep knocking my rackers down until it self feeds?

Here is my auxiliary oiler I made. Definitely worth making it. The bar and chain run much cooler now.
f1c89baa08fc090b3959f1069aebdad0.jpg

Nice oiler. Love the improvised zip-tie to wood stick set-up!

Would like to see some better pics of it!

I will get some better pictures of soon.

Good to see I'm not the only one who uses a couple of logs to support the milled piece. How do you lift it? I'm using a couple of 4"x4" lengths rough-milled to roll the log up with my cant hook. Low tech but effective.

Good to see I'm not the only one who uses a couple of logs to support the milled piece. How do you lift it? I'm using a couple of 4"x4" lengths rough-milled to roll the log up with my cant hook. Low tech but effective.

I use a couple small 5ish inch x 5ish foot long spruce logs. They sit in notches on my uprights. So far I have been able just roll the logs up by hand. But the next couple I will need to use my peeve. Definitely a back saver.

Does the oiler have a reducing tip on the end or does it sit straight against the bar somehow?
I just zip tied the tube to the mill and let it ride on the bar next to the chain. It works great.

Quick update. This is the latest stage to my muffler mod inspired by BobL. The turn down will be for milling. To help get the exhaust and heat away from me when milling. I'm hoping it blows some saw dust away to. The turn down will stay removable. I'm going to try and run a clamp on it.
0549b56bc1bde40c9c80ff981a927596.jpg
3a97220f54f90912278c2845f6aac5dc.jpg

Back