Milwaukee M18 Polesaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't write reviews but here is my experience with the first day using this tool.
I'm sure others out there are curious about this new offering

I have a pretty big kit up of Milwaukee M18 tools for my Bizo. Traditional woodworking/carpentry tools and some Roto-Hammers.
Slowly I've been adding Outdoor power tools as Milwaukee brings out new tools

I ordered one of the M18 Pole saws in and yesterday had a few hours to use it.
I'm a landowner not a tree pro. I'm not sure this unit is made for daily pounding but for tuning up the many trees on my 5er it seems fine.

Rather than have a telescoping pole They chose to go with a Quick Connect system.
At first I was sort of bummed by this but, after using the saw I see how much more rigid this is than telescoping.
When extended with the 3' section it's nearly 10'. One can add more sections to get longer ($54 each).
It weighs about 15lb-ish with one 3' section and 9ah battery.
The Brushless powerhead is a beast. It spins up fast and does not bog down.

The saw came with The powerhead, 3' extension, 10" chain saw attachment, Articulating 20" Hedge trimmer attachment, Charger, and 9.0ah battery. $400 shipped... not cheap compared to some electric saws.

I only used the Hedge trimmer for a few minutes.. verdict..... I'll be selling my trusty old Stihl HL75.
This thing cuts 1" branches with ease and is quieter and lighter than the My old Stihl.

With the chainsaw head attached it made quick work of many, branches.
I installed a 12ah battery I already had charged. After 4 hours of dropping 2"-6" cedar branches, I used 25% of the battery charge.
My feeling is a 5-6AH battery would lighten things up and be enough to keep up with operator fatigue.
I was wearing out long before the Battery.
After dropping a bunch of branches I removed the 3' section to make the tool a more manageable 80".
This is a major boon. The saw is killer for breaking down a tangled branch pile.
You get reach and leverage that really makes it quick to do this task.
We burn 3" plus branches around here.

The saw has tons of power with great chain speed... it's instantly at full speed it seems.
The oiler works great. Milwaukee created a system to oil the tip of the bar on the downhill side to make up for fling off.
There is an oil port running through the bar to the tip. You can see it running oil out onto the tip when you spin up the saw.
I managed a couple pinch ups and dislodged the chain once...
The Chain/chip guard is plastic with some embedded metal at the bar stud.... Thick burly plastic It does not flex. But still plastic.
The chain tensioner (side) works well and gives a positive tension.
The saw comes with it's own tiny scrench for it's smaller nut. I wish they had gone with a standard chainsaw size bar stud nut.

One thing that is tough to get used to is the sound of the chain grinding away at the wood.
Because you don't have the (gas) engine noise, you really hear the chain against wood.... it's not a nice sound..
This was the only thing that made me miss a Gas saw.
That's it. Maybe some Video another day.

A couple images and a video of oiler.

Shortened down version.
48021700972_1e24d40a68_c.jpg

Cutter head.
48021596491_74e5785260_c.jpg

Bar/Chain details
48021700442_1f84d1cb11_c.jpg

Click the image to go to video. Watch the oil from small outlet below Sprocket rivet.

I think that little hole near the bar nose rivet is for grease to be put in. The oil most likely is coming down the top of the bar pushed along by the drive links like normal stuff. Dedicated pole pruners do not seem to have hoop handles from what I have observed. Battery is great for pole pruners.

I de-limbed a big dead 3 prong "pickle-fork" western hemlock with this Pole saw the other day.
Maybe not for tree service pros and yet.....I gotta tell you guys... that saw seems a game changers. Usually I de-limb with a small 45cc saw.

With the pole saw set to it's minimum length of 80" reach, I was able to clear off all the limbs without getting tangled up and close to the tree.... the reach changed the work.
No need for ear protection, No smoke and smell (which I sort of like), No starting and stopping of saw to move branches (working solo). It's on when you want and off when you want.
Used up 3/4 of a 9.ah battery so pretty damn efficient.
Was able to work in Board-shorts and not get scratched up. Even "bucked" down everything under 10" with the pole saw!.. Nutz!!

Again the sound of chain and teeth on wood without a 2stroke revving over it is not a very nice thing.
Need to get used to that.

48070543908_b535f3d4d2_b.jpg

48070491586_95e9cfc718_b.jpg

I bought this polesaw and was happily trimming my huge mulberry tree. The chain popped off (due to my inexperience). I took it off, cleaned up everything, put the chain back on and now I cannot cut. The chain hesitates and stops spinning altogether when I touch the limb. I checked all the usual suspects: on correctly, tight according to instructions, oil tank full. I am sure I have done something "stupid." Any wisdom out there for me? Not sure what else to trouble shoot.

I bought this polesaw and was happily trimming my huge mulberry tree. The chain popped off (due to my inexperience). I took it off, cleaned up everything, put the chain back on and now I cannot cut. The chain hesitates and stops spinning altogether when I touch the limb. I checked all the usual suspects: on correctly, tight according to instructions, oil tank full. I am sure I have done something "stupid." Any wisdom out there for me? Not sure what else to trouble shoot.
Sounds like you might have a small burr on the drive link (the part of the chain that slides inside the bar groove). This happens fairly often when you throw a chain in the cut.
Look it over closely and see what you find.

Acme tool.
They had a kit deal at the time with base/saw, 3’ extenstion, articulating hedge-trimmer blade , and 9.ah battery/charger for about $400 shipped.
Acme used to sell sales tax free to my state… no longer …..

Sounds like you might have a small burr on the drive link (the part of the chain that slides inside the bar groove). This happens fairly often when you throw a chain in the cut.
Look it over closely and see what you find.
Thx, Grizz. I do see a rough place on one of the drive links. I have had a difficult time finding a replacement chain as this bar has a very thin kerf. (Oregon chains are too thick.) But hope to be back in the saddle in a few days. Thank you sooooo much for your help. I have learned quite a few things about this tool with this aggravating experience. :)

Latest posts

Back