ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Mini Skid advice?

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by unclemoustache, Oct 28, 2019.

1. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

I'm considering getting a mini skid steer/loader. I can't afford a new one, but I could get used. Any advice?

I'm leery of getting one at an auction (you never know what you get) and some rental places sell them after they've gotten their use out of it. I'm not so sure about that. They maintain them well, but the renters probably beat the heck out of them.

What kinds of things do I check for? How do I check them? Are there some decent places to buy good used equipment like this?

Then I'll need to get all the attachments I'll want - bucket, grapple, broom, tiller, and maybe a stump grinder if it's a good idea. Might just be cheaper/easier to rent that when I need it.

Thanks, chaps!

SeMoTony likes this.
  2. Biigg50

Biigg50 Addicted to ArboristSite

I know out here the rental yards do rent to own on any thing in their rental fleet. 80% of the rental goes towards purchase. During that time they continue to do all on site maintenance. Auctions aren’t bad if you take your time and do a good inspection of the equipment.
    As far as things to look for: low hours, maintenance log, hydraulic leaks, smooth operation, all joints/pivot points need to be tight. Definitely go with hand controls and high flow hydraulics for the attachments you are looking to use. Rubber tracks are also the way to go. A bit more cost than tires but way more useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SeMoTony, stihlaficionado and svk like this.
  3. tla100

tla100 Addicted to ArboristSite

My 1st was a 1978 or so Lahman, with tilt trailer, small bucket and grapple I traded for a revolver and $500 cash. No cab on it. It was a handy little loader. Loved the grapple. Sold it for a good profit and bought a little bigger Gehl with a ford 4 cylinder gas.

Good loader too and used it a few years until my buddy got new Cat loader and I bought his Hydra-Mac with 60 horse diesel. Only downside is I have to borrow trailer to move it, it is heavy beast @ 7,500 lbs. Pallet forks, 7' snow bucket and a newer Bobcat dirt bucket all have their roles.

I know Bobcats hold value great and pretty durable. CASE loaders seem to be cheaper. I don't know too many people with them tho.

Look for worn pins in cylinders. Leaks on cylinders n cracked hydraulic lines. 2 speed is nice if you have property close to where you working. Cab with heat nice in winter also with a broom.

SeMoTony likes this.
  4. tla100

Or are you talking about a walk behind?

5. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

Just rented a dingo. 525 I think it was. Nice unit. Sweet running little Kubota diesel. I liked the way it grunted and kept turning the auger we were running. I'd own one in a heartbeat.

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. unclemoustache

Something like this:

[​IMG]

7. Oldmaple

Oldmaple Addicted to ArboristSite

I love my Vermeer 650. Not the biggest toy on the block but lifts some awful big stuff. So much faster than my tractor which makes a difference in a production capacity.. Attachments will set you back financially also but also means you can use the machine more often. Service options in your area make a difference too. Sucks to have to cart it a couple of hours to get it repaired. Bought mine used from Vermeer Midwest which was local for me.

SeMoTony likes this.
  8. tla100

Yeah I don't know much about them....landscapers best friend it looks like. I would check with a rental company to see when they are going to upgrade.

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

If you are going to move wood you need equipment to do it. The mini is not different than the larger machines. I worked with a contractor two weeks ago that just wanted me to load and haul away. He would not wait for me to bring my older Bobcat because he had a little 550 that worked fine. I believe it will max out at 800 LBS. My bobcat will move about 2000 LBS, but the tail get very light and is a little harder to move around and load. The mini weighs about 3,000 lbs and mine weighs about 7,000. Both will get the job done though. Thanks

SeMoTony likes this.
  10. bayard

bayard Addicted to ArboristSite

i think you will be much better off with a reg sized skid loader. they can be had for 5 to 6,000 $ , hours might be high.4000 or so hours. there are many gas powered skid loaders out there.

SeMoTony likes this.
  11. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

A $5000 skid loader sounds like something you'd better be ready to fix at any time. I agree about the merits of a full sized skid but one thing that sucks about them is how difficult they are to work on since they're jammed into a compact unit.

Also, while the full sized ones are handy, those minis are super slick too. They fit into back yards, and they are WAY easier to get into and out of (on/off rather) than a regular skid loader. Personally I strongly dislike running a skid loader. I have limited experience on them, but I really like a tractor more. Skids are loud and the noise surrounds you. Visibility kinda sucks, and they make me feel a little claustrophobic. A mini is better on all those accounts in my experience.

SeMoTony, Capitalist and Oldmaple like this.
  12. tla100

I do agree there are full size loaders out there for decent price. I looked at local CL on a mini and only one listed that was 16 years old for over $5,000.

I would not even consider a tractor. Skidloaders can do so much work, tou can see what you are doing. The newer cabs are very quiet.

Visibility is not a huge issue, you get to know how close you are after running for s few hours.

SeMoTony likes this.
  13. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

Bobcat brand has two models that are popular at 500 lb and a 800 lb load. They both weigh about 3,000 lbs ready to work. A smaller loader weighs about 7,500 lbs with a load capacity of just under 2,000 lbs ready to work. Currently in California new prices are about $30,000 for the walk behind and about $55,000 for the smaller skid steers. For used I have seen them sell for about $11,000 for the walking model and $16,000 for the conventional model. If I was twenty years younger I would not hesitate to buy new as they will last many years if cared for. Thanks

SeMoTony and Oldmaple like this.
  14. unclemoustache

I looked around and found a thread in landscaping forum about minis. Most everyone said that the Bobcats were not so good. They praised Toro, Vermeer, and Ditch Witch.

SeMoTony likes this.
  15. Oldmaple

Oldmaple Addicted to ArboristSite

Toro has the Dingo in various sizes and you see a bunch of them around here. Landscapers, concrete guys, tree guys, etc. have them. See a lot of Vermeer around too. Probably has to do with having a local dealer. Don't see many Ditch Witch minis even though there is a local dealer. Boxer is another line that is getting more popular but I don't think they have been around as long and it might be more difficult to find a used one. Toro would probably be the easiest around here as that is what I see the most.

SeMoTony likes this.
  16. Jed1124

Jed1124 Addicted to ArboristSite

I’ve run the Toro Dingo, Vermeer, Bobcat, and Ditch Witch.

The Ditch Witch is the best option in a mini.

SeMoTony likes this.
  17. Capitalist

Capitalist Addicted to ArboristSite

Skid steer will do more but not the point of a mini.
    The smaller 3' gate and most lawns will not accommodate a skidsteer.

Want a mini loader on tracks pretty bad some days.

SeMoTony and Ryan'smilling like this.
  18. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

My house is about 1.5-2 miles from the shop. I drive my Bobcat S250 a few times a year to the house. It's only a single speed, but it's not that bad still. Actually much faster and it'd be almost uncontrollable on any bump.

My machine can move around 4000lbs without much fuss.

SeMoTony likes this.
  19. Biigg50

Biigg50 Addicted to ArboristSite

I’ve never seen these 2 pieces of equipment before. The CCC is using these for some trail repairs after the Carr Fire last year.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tla100 likes this.
  20. tla100

Bottom one looks like a tracked concrete buggy