Mini skid winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underbuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys I'm new to the mini skid game. I love what these things can do but I feel that the usefulness could be doubled with a winch. Has anyone figured out a good system to add a winch to their machine? Hydraulic would be best but... I realize the implications of flipping the machine etc. but feel that responsible operation is the key to avoid these problems.

I do not see how a skid steer would have any value using it with a winch. That certainly does not mean that a skid steer has no value. My skid steer works wonders with a bucket or grapples. A few years ago I worked with a crew that had a winch mounted on the front instead of a bucket. It did not take long to change the winch into grapples which is a good thing. With the winch the thing was down right dangerous. When the winch was raised a few feet it was almost always tipping. I welded a bracket to make the bucket as a skidder point then with rear view mirrors on the side it can skid very well. I have a self contained winch that is chained to a stump or tree. With the winch skidding logs to a good loading point and the skid steer loading much progress is made. My use revolves around me moving the winch with the skid steer and loading logs with the grapples. Thanks

CAT offers a winch on the 299D. Mounts on the back. One of the outfits we buy logs from has 2 of them, work well for skidding trees.

It's a big skid steer though, has metal tracks.

BMG had a capstan winch years ago but no longer offer a winch option, probably for good reason. Making a mount and a hydraulic winch would be fairly easy to do.

Back