Mini skidder ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am in the preplanning stages of building a mini log skidder. Thinking of starting with a trencher just because of having a blade, 4x4, maybe articulating and even a backhoe and instead of a bucket I'm thinking a grappler to pick up logs. I would remove the trencher and like to have a winch. Just wanting to fill my head with ideas as I'm still a ways away from starting. It would be mainly for firewood use. If anybody has any ideas or pics that would be great.

i had the same thoughts when i worked for a undergound utilities company for the first few years. then i bought a skidsteer...

these are a couple of what i was thinking of starting with. old ditchwitch tractors are fairly cheap

this is a 5110. Oil/air cooled Deutz motor, 4x4 with friction diff lockers, 4 wheel steer. the rear vibratory plow would make a great single arch style of skidder. or at least give you a bunch of extra hydraulic ability all plumbed in. the trencher usually increases the resale price and may or may not be a selling point for you. i'd opt out of the trencher myself

th

this is the older version and usually cheaper 5010. lower HP and no rear steering IIRC

5309.JPG

This is the vermeer LM-42. the articulated steering would be nice. very small handy machine for plowing yard cables in tight areas

1.jpg

Check out the Nortrac Dozer's if your wanting to build on the cheap. Small, manueverable, tracked, 30hp diesel with rear 3PT hitch and PTO. I bought mine used for 5K with less than 500hrs. Parts not the easiest since it's Chinese. They have additional hydraulic reservoir if you want to add a 3pt mounted backhoe.

Take a look at a Steiner. I found a 450 max in my area with dual tires front and rear with a 72" finish mower for $7995. Has a 3 cylinder 25 hp Kabota motor with articulated power steering, hydro drive (for mower), hydraulic lift (again for mower btu could be replaced with a blade?), and 4 wheel drive.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/grd/4745448810.html

I've thought about mini skidders before, but I keep coming back to a small dozer with decent cleats. It seems like with my 3032e that I run out of weight on the front. Just the other night me and a buddy were skidding an ash that was probably around 40-50 ft long and a good 16"-18" on the big end. I could lift the butt and pull - until I started going up hill. I had the 400 lb grapple on the front as well as my buddy (230lbs?) as a last resort and it was still lifting the front off the ground (with the 3 pt only raised enough to get a pull because any higher and it would raise up even easier). I had to shut the machine down, limb the tree on the trail (couldn't limb were it sat because it spanned a small ravine), then cut it into 3 lengths to get it out without drama.

I had thoughts of building a skidder with a couple "1 ton" solid axles and getting some R1 tires on it. Have it articulate for steering. Probably could use a 4 cylinder gas engine. Build a good cage. get as much weight on it as I could below the axles (or close to them). Have a tough belly pan. Most likely have a 3 point. Maybe a winch that can run front or back (one each end?). Also would have to be able to fit in my 80" x 16' dump trailer with the weight to not exceed 10k lbs. Seems like it would still be a fairly light duty machine.

I tend to have more thoughts than progress though.

Idk what your idea of a "small skidder" is to you but for the cost and time it would take to modify some of the equipment were talking about your could of just bought a JD 440A.

Huh, prices must be higher in other parts of the country. I could pick up used 5010's and 5110's up here for under 5k each. The case plows sell pretty reasonable around here too. Something like a 460 or a 660 would usually be under 10k

I think..if I was going to make a small one that would still haul decent logs, I would look at the old quadractor design and try to make something like that. Very unique and innovative out of the box thinking. Basically a powered log arch. Instead of fighting the weight of the log, the log is your weight and traction.

http://www.quadractor.com/

I've thought about mini skidders before, but I keep coming back to a small dozer with decent cleats. It seems like with my 3032e that I run out of weight on the front.

While I don't think much of those smaller tractors(prefer older 50~ hp 60's and 70's farm tractors) you have what you have.

Have you put fluid in your front and rear tires. Fluid makes a world of difference in pulling and stabability. Rim guard (beet juice) doesn't rust out rims like the old calcium chloride.

Also make your self a skidding plate and put the butt end on it and pull it from the drawbar.

One should NEVER pull off of the 3 point lower arms as it's asking to flip the tractor over backward if the tree or bar between the lift links catch something. Lifting the 3 point arms just transfers weight exactly to the wrong place. Smaller compact tractors exaggerate this issue as they lack space and clearance to place the lower arms correctly under the axels so they are placed behind the axle. A 3 point skidding plate while still transferring weight wrong at least utilizes the top link keeping things from flipping over backwards. Better yet utilize skidding arches. Much cheaper than new tractors, quicker/easier to build than a small skidder, and better for the forest due to less damage.

Henry ford purchased the furguson 3 point system for his tractors because of how many fordsons had flipped over backwards killing their operators.

Best thing about a skidding winch is, when you come to a hill, just let line out, drive up the hill and skid the logs to you... MUCH safer and very easy to do...

standard.jpg

BUT it's true, a farm tractor will easily out pull a compact of the same HP...

SR

My only thought is that the trencher would be awfully heavy and would rend to sink in soft ground. Tracked is hard to beat except for transporting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

This is what I skid with. I don't think they are intended to pull from the draw bar (that my tractor doesn't even have). I haven't put any fluid in my tires yet - maybe someday.

07-15-14%25281%2529.jpg

FX65%2520Winch.png

Ok, I thought you were just lifting with a bar between the lower arms.

Both of your attachments use the upper link and therefore are somewhat safer. I wouldn't use that grapple personally on that size tractor. To long of a lever.

How stiff is the grapple? Would it actually stop the tractor from going over backward or would it fold until the main frame contacted the ground?

Fluid in the tires would go a long way in helping you.

Back