Minimum Branch Diameter TIP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianks2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im sure this question has been coverd but I cant seem to find it. I believe the minimum diameter of branch/bole is 4" to use as a TIP. Can someone post a link where I can research this info.

I am new to the forum but have been lurking for about a month. I just want to say thanks to everyone here for sharing their knowledge and expertise here. :popcorn:

depends on the tree, and each individual tree cause no 2 trees are the same, example being, Faga sylvatica ill use a 2inch tie in point but some thing like liquid amber i wont go under 4inch.

For rec climbing as opposed to pro work climbing we generally go with minimum 6" diameter, obviously on a white oak for example you can hang on a 3" diameter close to the branch/trunk union, but... if you're rec climbing why push it? Especially if you're not familiar with a particular species and you haven't actually inspected the tree from up in the crown, there's stuff happening (rot) sometimes that you can't see from the ground. Go conservative, there's no good reason not to.
-moss

Back