Mini's, Boxer vs Vermeer, which one to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is their lift capacity? I looked on their brochure but, either I missed it or it's not listed.

the tipping weight on it was 800lbs with the tool carrier

I'm not saying this thing is perfect by any means..just looks like a really cool option..another one I havent heard mentioned on here yet is the Ramrod out of Canada..a guy has one with tires for sale here.. I'm gonna see if he'll rent it and and see if I like it

The tipping weight on my S600tx is 1450 lbs (with a 175lb opr). I'm over 200 and don't think I can lift that much unless it's straight up with a chain around the tool carrier. Rated operating capacity is 500 lbs which is conservative I think. Tracks sure float nice over soft ground or snow, but only without a load. Pick up a 6 or 700 lb log and its like riding around on two front tires. Sure can race back and forth on a single wide (4 foot) road of plywood though, and spin 180s on a single sheet with very little practic. It's an awesome toy for sure I MEAN TOOL! Yeah, TOOL. :laugh:

Merry Christmas All
randy

Hi guys

I own a 25G Thomas mini and love the machine. I carry wood with the Branchmanager attachment on the weekends and snow plow my drive. The grapple is 200 Lbs and can pick another 300-500 Lbs dependent on the grade of the ground. I would like to get a machine with alittle more lift hieght and pushing power. The machine only has one hydralic motor for each steer side.
I already decided that terf tires are the way to go on a new machine. The new tracks destroy the grass. They also dive into the soft grass with a heavy load... Tires float well with heavy loads.

I test drove the Boxer 427W and loved the machine but hated the controls.. I also test drove the S800 tx Vermeer and other than it was a bigger machine it has the power like a real skid steer. The peice of wood i picked with that machine was truely impressive... I like to load the front of my trailer high and put the mini in the back on medium size jobs. The S800 is too big for that but alsome!

more info

My Thomas S600 Vermeer 427w Boxer

Width 39.9 in 40.5 42.5
Height to hinge pin 68 in 80 69
weight machine 1600 Lb 2155 1850
ground clearance 4.25 in 5.75 5.6
operating capacity 475 Lb 600 Lb 875 ?
Tip capacity ? 1200 Lb 1750 ?
Travel speed 3.1 mph 4.4 4.5
Hydraulic auxilary 8.5 gpm 13.2 12.6
Look how high the vermeer can lift that is why it can not lift as much !!! So if you have two operators on the machine how much can you lift to 80 inches??

Ramrods

I'm not saying this thing is perfect by any means..just looks like a really cool option..another one I havent heard mentioned on here yet is the Ramrod out of Canada..a guy has one with tires for sale here.. I'm gonna see if he'll rent it and and see if I like it

Not that it means anything, but I was at a Ramrod dealer, and they had 3 of the same model lined up in a row. All 3 were sitting waiting for repair cuz the booms were all broke, on all 3 machines!

Sounds like you have your heart set on a wheeled machine so, you probably wouldn't be interested in either of my two used minis but, they are for sale in case you change your mind about tracks. Personally, I prefer tracks over wheels. Wheels get hung up on curbs and debris and soft ground while tracks will go over and through just about anything. they don't dig grass unless you actually skid to turn rather than take wider turns. Good luck on whatever you go with.

FYI - either of these machines will lift about 1000#. the DW lifts about 7" higher than the bobcat but, overall, I think the bobcat lift arms are built stronger.

AP

I own a 25G Thomas mini and love the machine. I carry wood with the Branchmanager attachment on the weekends and snow plow my drive. The grapple is 200 Lbs and can pick another 300-500 Lbs dependent on the grade of the ground. I would like to get a machine with alittle more lift hieght and pushing power. The machine only has one hydralic motor for each steer side.
I already decided that terf tires are the way to go on a new machine. The new tracks destroy the grass. They also dive into the soft grass with a heavy load... Tires float well with heavy loads.

I test drove the Boxer 427W and loved the machine but hated the controls.. I also test drove the S800 tx Vermeer and other than it was a bigger machine it has the power like a real skid steer. The peice of wood i picked with that machine was truely impressive... I like to load the front of my trailer high and put the mini in the back on medium size jobs. The S800 is too big for that but alsome!

Yeah it is a back saver and it really does well at moving wood around. It is also great at those long drags, we pile the brush in big piles and drag the whole thing to the chipper. I like to use it around the house as well and it sucks at digging ( that my be the main reason for getting a vermeer) DON' T TELL MY WIFE....

I like my THomas, so i was going to buy a banged up old bobcat from a friend. That means on big jobs taking more trips to the jobsite. Then i decided to upgrade my favorite machine to the same size but newer and tougher..
everyone needs a write off....

My ------------Thomas ------S600 Vermeer ------427w Boxer

Width ---------39.9 in --------40.5 ---------------42.5
Height to hinge pin 68 in -------80 in --------------69 in
weight machine 1600 Lb -------2155 Lb ----------- 1850Lb
ground clearance 4.25 in-------- 5.75 in ------------ 5.6in
operating capacity 475 Lb --------600 Lb -----------875 Lb ?
Tip capacity ? --------------------1200 Lb ----------1750 Lb?
Travel speed ------3.1 mph ------- 4.4 mph --------- 4.5 mph
Hydraulic auxilary -8.5 gpm --------13.2 gpm -------- 12.6 gpm
Look how high the vermeer can lift that is why it can not lift as much !!! So if you have two operators on the machine how much can you lift to 80 inches??

Statistically, the Boxer 500 series win hands down for lifting strength but ergonomically , the Vermeers have been winners for thier controls according to postings in here.

vermeer

I would like to talk to someone that owns a s600 vermeer to make sure that it would be whirth the money to upgrade my Thomas 25g.. I am very happy with the lifting capacity of the Thomas. It would be nice to lift higher, heavier, and faster but that may make taking down trees toooo easy...
I need to upgrade or buy something this year. I was going to get a BMA mini attachment stump grinder but i am into climbing not playing in the dirt....

I also heard of two different machines that needed to have there hydralic pumps replaced. I like to do a lot of research before jumping into something...

The Vermeer's that were made before 2006 had hydraulic pump problems. A new pump is 3500 thats what the dealer told me. I have s600tx with a BMG I bought last month. I havent used it for trees yet but have moved snow with it. I bought a 14' dump trailer the Vermeer will load it great. The grapple reaches to the middle of the trailer and it has plenty of clearence for loading logs. I cant wait to use my set up I have been dreaming and fantasizing about it too long!

Thank you for the info. My Thomas loads the 14 Foot brimar low profile trailer good. The big peices we load from the back because "he" can not lift those ones high enough.. The BMA grapple is great... The extra 12 inches will make the mini the ultimate wood mover...
As far as the snow removal i took an old plow that was rusted out on the bottom from sitting in the grass and cut it 4 inches off the bottom, 5 foot long blade and welded it up. Shortened the truck framework and made a plate. It pushes more snow than i can with the bucket. I think it is the extra weight from the down pressure.

mini loader

Treeman75 what year did you end up getting? How do you like the performance in the snow? My Thomas has wide tires that float on snow and when it cuts in, all i have to do is use the bucket to lift the front end up, then step the snow down.. It usually can pull its self out then.. Let me know THanks

I bought a 2006 with 300hr from my local dealer. I run a vermeer chipper too they gave me a smokin deal on the mini. It pushes snow awesome, I tried going up a ditch got half way up and the tracts started slipping. That was in 2-3' of snow. I drove it through a 3' pile of snow on flat ground it took me two tries but got right through. YouTube - ‪Mini Skidsteer Pushes Snow‬‏

That vid will give you good idea. I sure it would handle a bigger bucket or plow.

Anyone running stump grinder attachments with any luck?

If I could forego a 252 with a mini and grinder attachment, it's worth it to me.

Anyone running stump grinder attachments with any luck?

If I could forego a 252 with a mini and grinder attachment, it's worth it to me.

I have a bradco sg15 attachment and, while I've yet to try it out myself, it looks like it will work nice for smaller stumps (20" and under). The research I've done leads me to believe that it will be fairly slow on anything larger.

Back