Mini's, Boxer vs Vermeer, which one to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 2006 with 300hr from my local dealer. I run a vermeer chipper too they gave me a smokin deal on the mini. It pushes snow awesome, I tried going up a ditch got half way up and the tracts started slipping. That was in 2-3' of snow. I drove it through a 3' pile of snow on flat ground it took me two tries but got right through. YouTube - ‪Mini Skidsteer Pushes Snow‬‏

Define smoking deal. Just curious what you shelled out for it. Thanks.

I have a bradco sg15 attachment and, while I've yet to try it out myself, it looks like it will work nice for smaller stumps (20" and under). The research I've done leads me to believe that it will be fairly slow on anything larger.

I don't mind taking a little extra time if it saves me from having more equipment than I need. Let us know how that work's out. If it can do near or as well as the 252, I'll be happy. Big stumps I'll sub out till i can get a bigger unit...if ever.

I really need a skid steer this year and likely will try for a mini with a couple of attachments. Thanks for the response and pics.

I don't mind taking a little extra time if it saves me from having more equipment than I need. Let us know how that work's out. If it can do near or as well as the 252, I'll be happy. Big stumps I'll sub out till i can get a bigger unit...if ever.

I really need a skid steer this year and likely will try for a mini with a couple of attachments. Thanks for the response and pics.

Actually, I'm selling that bradco stump grinder. got it as a package with a bunch of other mini skid attachments and I already have a 252 so don't really need it. In case you aren't aware of it - I'm selling a bobcat mt52 as well as a ditch witch sk500. bobcat is like new. DW has a few hours on it but runs great. Shoot me a pm or, better yet, give me a call if you're interested and I'll get you prices and more photos.

I shipped a bobcat out to blakesmaster in NY last summer and a boxer out to a tree service in PA a couple months ago and shipping was only $750 each.

scott - ap 605-228-9350

LOL! The difference between men and boys....yes sir indeed. :cool2:

I'll keep that 52 in mind. I'm not ready yet, I need to get the season rolling and see what becomes of my yellow pages ad and 4 months of pounding the name in everybody's heads over the local radio.

I'm starting to get some calls this week, one guy even looking for a job.

I have a Vermeer dealer to the west and a bobcat to the south, so it'll be between the two brands. There is a boxer dealer close by too, but having run equipment my whole life, I can't stand the idea of not being able to move and articulate at the same time.

Any mini you use will be a back saver and you will not want to be without. Just like a chipper !!! I will never go back to the old days, loading brush into the truck and cutting it every foot so you can stomp it down.. I will rent one if i have to.
You will find all sorts of uses for a mini - Plow snow, drag brush, move wood out of the way on a drop and leave, my BMA grapple has a rope lowering device, rolling logs over to cut the bottom, pulling on ropes, the list goes on and on..... They are great and make tree work almost too easy !!!!

Any mini you use will be a back saver and you will not want to be without. Just like a chipper !!! I will never go back to the old days, loading brush into the truck and cutting it every foot so you can stomp it down.. I will rent one if i have to.
You will find all sorts of uses for a mini - Plow snow, drag brush, move wood out of the way on a drop and leave, my BMA grapple has a rope lowering device, rolling logs over to cut the bottom, pulling on ropes, the list goes on and on..... They are great and make tree work almost too easy !!!!

I used to kinda scoff at the mini skids, mostly for the price, but the more I consider it, the more I want a mini first. Maybe later I'll get an enclosed cab unit, maybe not.

I used to kinda scoff at the mini skids, mostly for the price, but the more I consider it, the more I want a mini first. Maybe later I'll get an enclosed cab unit, maybe not.

That's where I'm at right now - been using minis exclusively for 5 years now and wouldn't be without one. If I had to choose between full-sized skid steer and mini, I would go with the mini because it will go just about anywhere and do about anything though it might take a little longer than a big skid steer.

Now I'm at the point of buying a bigger skid steer too just to speed up cleanup on big removals but they'll always be a place on my chip truck for a mini skid.

If you would hurry up and buy one of my minis, we could help each other out - you could stop breaking your back and I could buy my bigger skid steer! ;)

I will be selling my 2002 Thomas 25G For $6000 in a month or so.. Vermeer dealer is going to bring one out to test out soon S600 wheeled machine. The wife is almost on board... It is never easy...........

That's where I'm at right now - been using minis exclusively for 5 years now and wouldn't be without one. If I had to choose between full-sized skid steer and mini, I would go with the mini because it will go just about anywhere and do about anything though it might take a little longer than a big skid steer.

Now I'm at the point of buying a bigger skid steer too just to speed up cleanup on big removals but they'll always be a place on my chip truck for a mini skid.

If you would hurry up and buy one of my minis, we could help each other out - you could stop breaking your back and I could buy my bigger skid steer! ;)

I hear you...in stereo. I almost had a reason to rent a 52 late last year with a grinder, but I was lowballed on both gigs that I wanted to employ it on. I'll have an excuse soon enough as I have some good size removals coming up.

It was your chip truck conversion that really got me thinking about these units.

I bought an old skid steer trailer last year just to save on full sized rentals for this year. Not only do I need to save the back, but time and energy of a day as well, especially going full time. No two ways about it. Luckily, my landlord lets me steal the MF loader tractor if it's local, and he's looking into trailers for it, but I can't rely on that for everything. We'll be in touch.

Does anyone have info, or anyone running, a log splitter off of a mini? Or is it a custom item? Any info for design specs would be appreciated.

2007 Vermeer

might be worth a trip

You would buy a $12k vermeer with 700 hrs but not a $12k bobcat with only 290hrs? Is there's enough difference between the two in your mind that you could justify spending same money on a machine with 400 more hours?

I'm just wondering because I consider the two machines as basically the same after having run both. A few more hp in the vermeer but not so much more. Same lifting capacity. Very similar controls. Bobcat does require a ride-on platform whereas the vermeer has an integrated platform. Other than that, not much difference except white vs yellow.

it seems as the bobcat is mostly overlooked.... i did a lot of research on minis and ended up with the bobcat for a couple reasions: its attachment plate is compatible with full size skidsteers: meaning you can move(even use!)some of your fullsize attachments if you already have or are planning on getting one.
secondly, its hydraulic pressure/ output. at 14gpm and 3000 psi its able to run those fullsize attachments it can pick up. if i recall its the most of any 36" mini. i run my fullsize auger from my 773 on it all the time.
Third, its weight operating load.Forget about rated capacity, it weighs 2500 lbs and it can pick up more than a 1500lb machine. period. I consistently pick 1500+ lbs with my bmg grapple, drive up the ramps into my 7x12 dump trailer with five foot sides and stack it full. And then jacknife the trailer and load it in the bed of my pickup.
how about desigfn and durability?? I "overuse" my equipment all the time and this thing keeps trucking!! no cracked boom, blown pumps/ seals, nothing.
Power. i know 23 hp doesnt sound like much but deisels have much more useable power than a gas,ie torque. my boxer 427(with 27hp gas) doesnt even come close.
Controls. Even a caveman can operate it. so simple so straightforward, no learning curve or getting used to even after jumping out of a pilot or foot/ hand machine.
Now the bad. I wish it lifted higher. I almostrbought the vermeer just because of this one thing. i can barely load stump grindings into a pickup bed with it. The tracks could have been longer.I think it has one of the longest tracks in it class, but it seems like theres enough room there to go bigger. that would mean more stability and morelongevity of the tracks.i go through tracks like crazy,primarily because I drive it up the ramps while carrying aload all the time. When they say compact, they meant it.I had to change a starter(our fault, neglected a faulty key switch) and it took almost six hours. it was so bad i decided to replaCE THE ALTERNATOR AND BELT TOO JAST TO MAKE SURE I DIDN'T HAVE TO GO BACK IN THERE. sorry for caps
I've owned three minis, a bobcat mt52,a boxer 427,and a dingo525. I've rented practically every one out there and I keep gravitating towards the bobcat. I'd love to try out the new vermeer though.Oh and i've had a fullsize machine for ten years and a mini for four. If i could rewind time, I'd have the mini first. and maybe forgo a fullsize skidsteer and just get a small articulating loader(my next aquisition).I had a swinger 2000 and i still cant figure out how this guy convinced me to sell it!! kick myself for that all the time....
Just my two cents, i'm sure someone will (and feel free to) disagree and add points

it seems as the bobcat is mostly overlooked.... i did a lot of research on minis and ended up with the bobcat for a couple reasions: its attachment plate is compatible with full size skidsteers: meaning you can move(even use!)some of your fullsize attachments if you already have or are planning on getting one.
secondly, its hydraulic pressure/ output. at 14gpm and 3000 psi its able to run those fullsize attachments it can pick up. if i recall its the most of any 36" mini. i run my fullsize auger from my 773 on it all the time.
Third, its weight operating load.Forget about rated capacity, it weighs 2500 lbs and it can pick up more than a 1500lb machine. period. I consistently pick 1500+ lbs with my bmg grapple, drive up the ramps into my 7x12 dump trailer with five foot sides and stack it full. And then jacknife the trailer and load it in the bed of my pickup.
how about desigfn and durability?? I "overuse" my equipment all the time and this thing keeps trucking!! no cracked boom, blown pumps/ seals, nothing.
Power. i know 23 hp doesnt sound like much but deisels have much more useable power than a gas,ie torque. my boxer 427(with 27hp gas) doesnt even come close.
Controls. Even a caveman can operate it. so simple so straightforward, no learning curve or getting used to even after jumping out of a pilot or foot/ hand machine.
Now the bad. I wish it lifted higher. I almostrbought the vermeer just because of this one thing. i can barely load stump grindings into a pickup bed with it. The tracks could have been longer.I think it has one of the longest tracks in it class, but it seems like theres enough room there to go bigger. that would mean more stability and morelongevity of the tracks.i go through tracks like crazy,primarily because I drive it up the ramps while carrying aload all the time. When they say compact, they meant it.I had to change a starter(our fault, neglected a faulty key switch) and it took almost six hours. it was so bad i decided to replaCE THE ALTERNATOR AND BELT TOO JAST TO MAKE SURE I DIDN'T HAVE TO GO BACK IN THERE. sorry for caps
I've owned three minis, a bobcat mt52,a boxer 427,and a dingo525. I've rented practically every one out there and I keep gravitating towards the bobcat. I'd love to try out the new vermeer though.Oh and i've had a fullsize machine for ten years and a mini for four. If i could rewind time, I'd have the mini first. and maybe forgo a fullsize skidsteer and just get a small articulating loader(my next aquisition).I had a swinger 2000 and i still cant figure out how this guy convinced me to sell it!! kick myself for that all the time....
Just my two cents, i'm sure someone will (and feel free to) disagree and add points

I'm not calling you a liar or calling you out. But will you explain how you pick up, roll up a ramp, and load a truck with a 1500lb load in a grapple that weighs a hundred plus lbs with a machine with a rated operating lift @500lb and a tip weight of 1600lb?

did you see the pics? the machine is tippy carrying that much weight but you can actually pull the cventer of gravity back using a bmg and carry more. and when you go up the ramps its easy bc the weight transfers to the rear of the machine. If you use the platform(which I dont bc of space reastraints)you can effectively copunterweight or leverage it even more. I just loaded out a 45" austrian pine but that fell on a house in a windstorm sunday(9 days ago) and had to go down hill which limits its carrying ability tremendously. But it still got er done!!!

I did see the pic. That's a big chunk of wood. Did you weigh or chart it out to find out the weight?

Back