Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, Dakotas GTG's thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about tomorrow? In Minneapolis. Free.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2561401200753920/permalink/2583263898567650/

Minneapolis Lumberjack Championship
Come watch professional woodchoppers battle head to head in chopping, buck sawing, and power sawing to see who will be the Minneapolis Champion.
Free admission
Free parking in ramp on the S.E. corner of Central & 40th
Presented by:
Minneapolis Saw Inc.
Husqvarna
Urban Foresters Certified Arborists

View attachment 753753

Philbert
First I've heard of this, Philbert, I may have to come down!

Haven't found a place for sure yet. Have a couple possibilities in the works.

There is plenty to cut at my place and I could always use the help. I have only been cutting up what the excavating guy pushed over to terrace and put in my driveway. Haven't cut anything down yet. Not looking forward to it either as I have never felled a tree.

How about tomorrow? In Minneapolis. Free.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2561401200753920/permalink/2583263898567650/

Minneapolis Lumberjack Championship
Come watch professional woodchoppers battle head to head in chopping, buck sawing, and power sawing to see who will be the Minneapolis Champion.
Free admission
Free parking in ramp on the S.E. corner of Central & 40th
Presented by:
Minneapolis Saw Inc.
Husqvarna
Urban Foresters Certified Arborists

View attachment 753753

Philbert
How was the competition?

There is plenty to cut at my place and I could always use the help. I have only been cutting up what the excavating guy pushed over to terrace and put in my driveway. Haven't cut anything down yet. Not looking forward to it either as I have never felled a tree.
I'm tied up until mid-September finishing my remodel but would be happy to help after that.

Welcome to A.S.!

Organize a 'Get-To-Gether' (GTG).
Pick a date. Organize some food. Have some fun things to do too (racing or playing with saws).

Then mark out what you want cut!

Philbert
Thanks for the welcome!
From the looks of it GTG's can be a pretty big deal. I don't have a lot of space and most of it is pretty steep. Might only be able to park 6 or 8 vehicles.

NORTHERN IOWA GTG

Save the date Oct 5 2019. 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
Just north of West Union,IA

All attendee's will be entered in a prize drawing. Drawing items will include at least one chainsaw, one hookaroon, one timberjack 2 cycle oil, bar oil and other items. No one will go home empty handed.

An all home cooked meal will be provided by Jan, Pulled pork, chili, homemade bread, homemade corn bread, slaw and potato salad.
Be thankful Jan is cooking and not me!

We will have fresh spring water from the spring on the property. Coffee and soft drinks too.

Bring your favorite saw/saws to show off and use for making the firewood pile grow.
We will be cutting down a fair number of trees. Many are healthy, a few are in bad shape and some are dying. There are several trees that are already down that need to be cut up and a few with wind damage. They range in size from 4" to 35" in diameter.

If somebody has a chipper they could bring that would be great. We could sure use some mulch for around our berry plants.

Please RSVP by pm. I will provide the address and directions if needed.

Thank you we are looking forward to meeting you and learning from your experiences.

ps Tall tales are allowed during lunch.
pps We have arraigned for overflow parking at a spot just down the road from our place.

Thanks again,
Art

NORTHERN IOWA GTG

Save the date Oct 5 2019. 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
Just north of West Union,IA

All attendee's will be entered in a prize drawing. Drawing items will include at least one chainsaw, one hookaroon, one timberjack 2 cycle oil, bar oil and other items. No one will go home empty handed.

An all home cooked meal will be provided by Jan, Pulled pork, chili, homemade bread, homemade corn bread, slaw and potato salad.
Be thankful Jan is cooking and not me!

We will have fresh spring water from the spring on the property. Coffee and soft drinks too.

Bring your favorite saw/saws to show off and use for making the firewood pile grow.
We will be cutting down a fair number of trees. Many are healthy, a few are in bad shape and some are dying. There are several trees that are already down that need to be cut up and a few with wind damage. They range in size from 4" to 35" in diameter.

If somebody has a chipper they could bring that would be great. We could sure use some mulch for around our berry plants.

Please RSVP by pm. I will provide the address and directions if needed.

Thank you we are looking forward to meeting you and learning from your experiences.

ps Tall tales are allowed during lunch.
pps We have arraigned for overflow parking at a spot just down the road from our place.

Thanks again,
Art

Sounds good will try to make it [emoji106]

Sent from Hoskey Hills

Back running the mill again this year at a threshing show. (Me in the orange shirt) Working on a black walnut log.

DSCN0863[1].JPG

What was milled this year. First pic is a mixed bag: pine, popluar, few cedar boards (usually mill a few small cedar logs into 4x6 or 6x6 cants then cut into 16" long blocks for a shingle mill) and even some box alder lumber! The boards on top with a lot of bark the owner keeps to be turned into decorative pieces.

DSCN0867[1].JPG

Black walnut a local brought in to have milled.

DSCN0866[1].JPG

White oak another local brought in to be milled.

DSCN0869[1].JPG

And the load of slabs for the OWB.

DSCN0868[1].JPG

The powerplant for the mill: An early 60's Massey Ferguson 97, a re-badged Minneapolis-Moline G-705. It came from Amish that could use tractors where they used it on a sawmill. These pictures are from a few years back.

21055247_481080245610089_281875842129633989_o.jpg
21122452_481080215610092_6651009528614109383_o.jpg

Back running the mill again this year at a threshing show. (Me in the orange shirt) Working on a black walnut log.

View attachment 755620

What was milled this year. First pic is a mixed bag: pine, popluar, few cedar boards (usually mill a few small cedar logs into 4x6 or 6x6 cants then cut into 16" long blocks for a shingle mill) and even some box alder lumber! The boards on top with a lot of bark the owner keeps to be turned into decorative pieces.

View attachment 755623

Black walnut a local brought in to have milled.

View attachment 755624

White oak another local brought in to be milled.

View attachment 755626

And the load of slabs for the OWB.

View attachment 755627

The powerplant for the mill: An early 60's Massey Ferguson 97, a re-badged Minneapolis-Moline G-705. It came from Amish that could use tractors where they used it on a sawmill. These pictures are from a few years back.

View attachment 755634
View attachment 755635

Where was the show?

Latest posts

Back