minor Stihl 038 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm the guy who has recently rebuilt a Stihl 038AV. The saw runs absolutely flawlessly but I'm having a few minor problems. The first is with the gas tank vent. The original hose that went on the tank fitting was rotted so I took a piece of small fuel line and screwed the two inserts into it. The tank is venting but after awhile gas seems to squirt out the hose past the inserts. Is this normal for this type of vent or can I do something about it? The other thing is with the air filter cover. I can't seem to engage the twist lock on the cover with the screw on the air filter. It seems like the nut that holds the carb in place is going down too far and the twist lock hits the carb stud and can't go down far enough to lock. If I loosely tighten the carb screw I can get the twist lock to engage but then when I try to remove the twist lock, the carb screw completely unscrews. Should I install a washer behind the carb nuts to push them out further? Any ideas guys? Oops, almost forgot. What is the max rpm this saw should run at? Right now the high speed screw is at about 1 1/8 turns out and the saw runs at about 11500 rpm.

G'day Rubicon,

About all I can think for the fuel line with the 2 inserts, is that it is venting, but not enough and after a while the pressure is forcing fuel out. Maybe a genuine part may fix! Just a thought. The washer for the air filter cover could fix the problem. Did you buy the cover or was it the old one. Maybe its a Magnum one and is slightly different? Again just a thought. The manual for the 038 states the maximum revs for the S and the Magnum is 13,500. If you have a tach, I would set it slightly lower, on the rich side.
Hope this helps.

itschy.gif

Latest posts

Back