mixing oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleb90

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
alright so for years the only 2 stroke machines ive had have been my saws and weed eater. and always used sthil synthetic.well i just recently bought myself a midlife crisis banshee. i intend to run klotz in the banshee either r50 or supertecni plate. these suitable for saw use? i like to keep my selection of oils in the garage at a minimum.

I can't say I have ever ran Klotz but back in the day when the Banshee were new we had several and ran with a guy that was a very large Amsoil dealer and I ran it in the Banshee's and every thing I had that was two stroke out on the farm. Never blew up any saws. Now days about the only thing I have that is two stroke is my saws and I mainly run Stihl Synthetic.

alright so for years the only 2 stroke machines ive had have been my saws and weed eater. and always used sthil synthetic.well i just recently bought myself a midlife crisis banshee. i intend to run klotz in the banshee either r50 or supertecni plate. these suitable for saw use? i like to keep my selection of oils in the garage at a minimum.
For years I ran Klotz Benol in every small engine I had...weather it was a 2 stroke or not. I spent a bunch a years riding and racing and always had leftover premix ... it went in my race bikes , saws , trimmers , blowers and the push mower ..hell It went in my pickup if I needs gas!
The whole premix oil topic has been beat to death around here , the appropriate ratio is what’s important and cheap-o oil will work just fine.

I ran my yard trimmer one whole summer on Cam2 and Benol , it made yard work enjoyable ... race gas and castor base lube smell awesome.

Congratulations on the Banshee purchase , I’ve owned several from mild to wild and loved them all.

My brother had a Warrior back in the late 90s/early 2000s.
Was a fun machine!

As far as lube to use, do they still make 2 stroke Yamalube?

yes they still make yamalube but its not that great. amsoil is decent but not a fan of their pyrimid sceme. klotz smells great and works great, just not sure on an air cooled motor. alot of twc oils shouldnt be run in a fan cooled/air cooled. castor oil is out as it dosnt like cold temps, if worst comes to worst i will continue running stihl hp synthetic. just tryin to keep shop oils to a minimum.

Yamalube I'd imagine meets the engine specs.

I seem to recall it being a fair bit of oil... like 30:1?

Castor oil? I haven't heard of that being used in engines in a LONG time... like pre WW2.

Yamalube I'd imagine meets the engine specs.

I seem to recall it being a fair bit of oil... like 30:1?

Castor oil? I haven't heard of that being used in engines in a LONG time... like pre WW2.
yes castor oil is still used, currently running maxima 927 in the banshee. but says right on the bottle do not use below 33f. believe it or not castor oil has some of the best film strength for 2strokes

5-10 years ago, a lot of guys swore by Klotz R50 around here. I ordered a small bottle the other day.

I have been running Maxima K2 on @chipper1 's recommendation. It seems great, the only thing I do not like is the lack of dye. I like my mixed gas to be dark so there is no confusion as to what someone is pouring.

5-10 years ago, a lot of guys swore by Klotz R50 around here. I ordered a small bottle the other day.

I have been running Maxima K2 on @chipper1 's recommendation. It seems great, the only thing I do not like is the lack of dye. I like my mixed gas to be dark so there is no confusion as to what someone is pouring.
It's actually a red/orange, I think it looks like bad gas lol.
You can smell it :sweet:.
I picked up a nice gas can on the side of the rd a couple days ago, I smelled it and was like "that's 2-stroke mix", my buddy says you can't tell, I opened the cap and it was almost black from the mix :laughing:.
yes castor oil is still used, currently running maxima 927 in the banshee. but says right on the bottle do not use below 33f. believe it or not castor oil has some of the best film strength for 2strokes
The 927 has a much higher flashpoint, like around 450f, the k2 is around 250f, I run k2 yr round and have never had an issue.
I've been running it since I switched to 40:1 in everything and have not had a problem.
Here's a decent price on a 64oz bottle, it's currently 10% off which makes it probably the cheapest on eBay currently.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxima-229...2T-Oil-64oz-/324103186174?hash=item4b760e26fe
My brother had a Warrior back in the late 90s/early 2000s.
What ratio did he run:lol:. If you ain't laughing with me then you just don't know quads lol.
Back in the 70's we ran klotz. I loved that smell.
Yeah buddy.
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 10.05.52 AM.png
They even have a new one :).
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 10.05.00 AM.png

running the 927 currently in my banshee, i wouldnt run that in my saws
Oh good :oops:.
So what else do you need here then, or are we done.
You asked, you got answers and a link for a great product at a great price and you seem to like the ester based oils so...
or are you trying to start another 100 page oil thread :badpc:.
Maybe a thanks for the responses would be nice, stating I'd rather not run something that doesn't have a lot of dye because I have a hard time telling the difference, but you're reply seems off if you ask me and not the way someone who asked for help/advice should respond to those who offer assistance.
If you need something more then let us know, otherwise read one of those threads or keep running that nasty smelling stihl ultra :rare2:.
Oh, I'd run the 927 in my saws, but not when it's cold.

talked to Klotz told them what i was looking for.. they recomended there motorcycle tecniplate
There you go.

I personally know they actually recommend the 50:1 Techniplate TC-W3 as pictured below for chainsaws, but if you said you would be running it in both that may have changed the advice. So this is for those who read this in the future, the below is what they recommend for chainsaws and other small equipment.
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 11.30.28 AM.png

I may have put mix in my mowers and stuff a couple times....
My 21" mower ran better after it got a taste of red armor:dancing:
Done that a lot, but I go thru a lot more mix these days than in the past so I don't have to now. I also used to use ethanol fuel, so I wouldn't keep it around long, now we have a station close to get ethanol free which can stay around much longer if need be.
I also used to run 50:1, but when I got into ported saws I switched as it's easier to have one mix for everything and them all tuned for that mix as well.

Done that a lot, but I go thru a lot more mix these days than in the past so I don't have to now. I also used to use ethanol fuel, so I wouldn't keep it around long, now we have a station close to get ethanol free which can stay around much longer if need be.
I also used to run 50:1, but when I got into ported saws I switched as it's easier to have one mix for everything and them all tuned for that mix as well.
I know your trying to keep it simple and I run 50 to 1 with ethanol so dont keep around long which is downside to having different mixes or not using your mix up
That I think applies to the guy with the quad
I would personally probably run whatever the quad recommendations are in small batches so they are used up and run different mix for 2 stroke equipment

Im not sure if sabre would be the best for quad ?

Back