mixing oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ratio did he run:lol:. If you ain't laughing with me then you just don't know quads lol.

???

I just said it was a fun machine, that's all. It's a similar machine to the Banshee, so not like I was out in left field.

Unless your Banshee is a done up racing machine, I don't see a reason to run fancy race catered oil.
Run whatever helps you sleep at night. Ask 10 people and you'll likely get 10 answers on what is best.

I grew up on snowmobiles, we never gave oil much thought.
Ran Castrol snowmobile oil for years because that's what the local store sold.
Put lots of miles... my Dad's Formula MX was bought new and he sold it with over 20k miles on it.

alright so for years the only 2 stroke machines ive had have been my saws and weed eater. and always used sthil synthetic.well i just recently bought myself a midlife crisis banshee. i intend to run klotz in the banshee either r50 or supertecni plate. these suitable for saw use? i like to keep my selection of oils in the garage at a minimum. [/QU

The biggest problem that I have seen is that synthetic oil do not mix or is stable with petroleum gasoline. That does not mean when a synthetic oil is mixed fresh that it will not perform superb. It just means storage is a concern once mixed. Then most race motors are liquid cooled as compared to air cooled chain saw motors. I used Maxima Super M because for me I could get the five gallon pail cheap. I did not have to pay shipping. It worked well and ran great in chain saws. When I was racing consistently I mixed race gas and regular gas five gallons at a time which lasted about a week and what ever was left over went to saws. Thanks

I have been mixing by the .8 gallon but now with lots of saws especially larger ones I need to mix more frequently. IIRC 3.25 oz in a gallon of premium yields 40:1. If I start milling I would definitely mix that thicker.

???

I just said it was a fun machine, that's all. It's a similar machine to the Banshee, so not like I was out in left field.

Unless your Banshee is a done up racing machine, I don't see a reason to run fancy race catered oil.
Run whatever helps you sleep at night. Ask 10 people and you'll likely get 10 answers on what is best.

I grew up on snowmobiles, we never gave oil much thought.
Ran Castrol snowmobile oil for years because that's what the local store sold.
Put lots of miles... my Dad's Formula MX was bought new and he sold it with over 20k miles on it.
They are fun, and I don't disagree at all, it was a joke.
I agree people will give you lots of different advice, but I think regardless of what brand or ratio people will find that 50:1 is better than 50:none ;).
The only saws/two stroke equipment I've ever burnt up I ran on 50:none(straight gassed) or it had a bad air leak when I first got into saws and didn't know better, now if it won't hold a tune or surges I shut it down until I figure out what's wrong.
My redmax backpack blower is 20yrs old and I burn a good bit of fuel thru it all yr around, ran it on 50:1 opti-pro and ethanol for many yrs and it still starts on the first or second pull. Then I started running it on 40:1 with any brand named mix I could get(buying and selling saws I got a lot of oil with the saws I bought) and ethanol free fuel, now I run 40:1 with maxima k2 and non-ethanol fuel.

Curious...
When out riding, do you just keep a jug of oil and pour some in at the fuel pump?
We used to ride with a buddy that had a Blaster. I can't remember what he did. I do recall it needing fuel often. Even the Warrior didn't get that far on a tank vs the utility machines most everyone else rode.

Only sled I've run that didn't have auto injection was a 1974 Ski-Doo we rode as kids and never had it out on trails.

Curious...
When out riding, do you just keep a jug of oil and pour some in at the fuel pump?
We used to ride with a buddy that had a Blaster. I can't remember what he did. I do recall it needing fuel often. Even the Warrior didn't get that far on a tank vs the utility machines most everyone else rode.

Only sled I've run that didn't have auto injection was a 1974 Ski-Doo we rode as kids and never had it out on trails.
When we rode sleds that were not premix, you just kept a pint of oil with a screw cap and tried to fill up the tank to the nearest gallon then add the corresponding amount of oil. A pint for 6 gallons is 50:1. When in doubt, mix it rich.

Most of my riding was done in the mid to late 90's and by then most stuff was oil injection. Most folks had stuff new enough to have oil injection but a few of the less fortunate guys had older sleds and of course the guys who liked working on stuff like me had a new one and some old ones for fun too.

Yamalube 2R was Great oil and still is. Only for Premix racing application. It was supposedly made by Citgo and is the Same as Sea and Snow. I tore down many bikes and they were super clean with the 2R. Belray MC1+ was another of my favorites. In my Polaris two strokes I've ran Mercury Quicksilver and one two stroke has almost 3000 miles and never tore down. I was always under the assumption Koltz and bean oils were dirty so I stayed away from them.

When we were out riding the truck was never too far away. The guys I knew who rode state trails here would install the aftermarket large tanks and would fill up in route at the gas stations. Most of the bikes and quads I had/rode were 4-strokes so we could fuel up anywhere.

I have been mixing by the .8 gallon but now with lots of saws especially larger ones I need to mix more frequently. IIRC 3.25 oz in a gallon of premium yields 40:1. If I start milling I would definitely mix that thicker.

The short answer is if you change the oil ratio you are leaning fuel mixture or if you run less oil ratio the fuel mixture is richer. Especially with milling a ratio of 30:1 fuel to oil means that the performance has been decreased slightly which is a good thing because saw will run a little cooler. At 30:1 the carburetor will need to be adjusted for the leaner fuel mixture. 30:1 is just an example as to discuss oil brands and mixtures is not a good thing. Thanks

The short answer is if you change the oil ratio you are leaning fuel mixture or if you run less oil ratio the fuel mixture is richer. Especially with milling a ratio of 30:1 fuel to oil means that the performance has been decreased slightly which is a good thing because saw will run a little cooler. At 30:1 the carburetor will need to be adjusted for the leaner fuel mixture. 30:1 is just an example as to discuss oil brands and mixtures is not a good thing. Thanks
Yes, my saws are re-tuned as needed for altitude, temp, and mix ratio.

When we were out riding the truck was never too far away. The guys I knew who rode state trails here would install the aftermarket large tanks and would fill up in route at the gas stations. Most of the bikes and quads I had/rode were 4-strokes so we could fuel up anywhere.

We'd go on rides all over.

Now that I think of it, I don't know if many other areas have nice trail system like Maine does.

It's nearly as good as the highway system, especially the snowmobile trails.
My folks got into riding side by side a few years ago. They'll do 150-200 miles in a day without trouble. Often going to a restaurant, clubhouse, etc.
One of the guys in their group has something like 15,000 miles on a couple year old machine.

Around here there's nothing like that. The trails are mostly old mining/exploration routes and you go in, and come back out. Lucky to do 40-50 miles in a day.

I did some oil mixing this week . The garden tractor called for 10 w 30 summer 5w 30 winter . Being the time of year it was I just mixed half of each . I called it year around oil . Two stroke oil been running Amsoil Saber in every thing and have a lot of different 2 stroke . The list of chainsaws earth augers leaf blower weed wacker snow blower even a lawnboy push mower .

5-10 years ago, a lot of guys swore by Klotz R50 around here. I ordered a small bottle the other day.

I have been running Maxima K2 on @chipper1 's recommendation. It seems great, the only thing I do not like is the lack of dye. I like my mixed gas to be dark so there is no confusion as to what someone is pouring.
Can you get a dye and put it in separate?

I cant believe in all these replies not one person mentioned Belray MC-1. Back in my days of riding this is all I would use. The MC-1 formula says it is for non powervalve engines but we never had any issues with it.there is there is the HR-1 power valve version did as well but we never needed it. I used to race KX250s from childhood up until I gave up racing and switched to quads where I ran Suzuki 250 quadracer and my neighbor had a Blaster. I gave them up and decided I was getting too old for that **** but I still ran the oil in my chainsaws and weed wackers. When I hit 40 I found a really good deal on a Banshee and had to have it. That got the same MC-1 oil as well. I quickly learned that the banshee was a lot of fun to run up and down the road with but in the tight wodds trails it was just to big and clumsy so I sold it and gave up. Now years later I just run Stihl full synthetic in all my saws and weedwacker Anyway here is a link to my favorite 2 stroke oil.
Belray MC-1 full synthetic race oil

For what it's worth, I run klotz super techniplate, in everything from my 1/5 scale rc, my saws, trimmers, sleds, and even my dads old race boat. It's always worked, and I've never had a lube related failure. But there are many other great oils out there as well.

I cant believe in all these replies not one person mentioned Belray MC-1. Back in my days of riding this is all I would use. The MC-1 formula says it is for non powervalve engines but we never had any issues with it and it costs almost half of what the HR-1 power valve version did. I used rto race KX250s from childhood up until I gave up racing and switched to quads where I ran Suzuki 250 quadracer and my neighbor had a Blaster. I gave them up and decided I was getting too old for that **** but I still ran the oil in my chainsaws and weed wackers. When I hit 40 I found a really good deal on a Banshee and had to have it. That got the same MC-1 oil as well. I quickly learned that the banshee was a lot of fun to run up and down the road with but in the tight wodds trails it was just to big and clumsy so I sold it and gave up. Now years later I just run Stihl full synthetic in all my saws and weedwacker Anyway here is a link to my favorite 2 stroke oil.
Belray MC-1 full synthetic race oil
The real problem with the Banshee was a less than great chassis , it can be made to work with a overall lowered stance. I widened and lowered my last race Banshee and went with zero rate coilovers and it would run with any ATV in the Hare & Hound series In tight trails...just takes money. If I’d been rich I’d have picked up a 250R based aftermarket chassis but my lack of pro caliber riding skill kept me from sinking a months salary on a frame.

There‘s just no replacing the thrill of a purpose built Banshee , I’ve had more competitive TRX’s but nothing as fun as the Yamaha.

I’m also surprised with no love for MC-1 syn, I ran it for a couple years and it was a good performer.

I cant believe in all these replies not one person mentioned Belray MC-1. Back in my days of riding this is all I would use. The MC-1 formula says it is for non powervalve engines but we never had any issues with it.there is there is the HR-1 power valve version did as well but we never needed it. I used to race KX250s from childhood up until I gave up racing and switched to quads where I ran Suzuki 250 quadracer and my neighbor had a Blaster. I gave them up and decided I was getting too old for that **** but I still ran the oil in my chainsaws and weed wackers. When I hit 40 I found a really good deal on a Banshee and had to have it. That got the same MC-1 oil as well. I quickly learned that the banshee was a lot of fun to run up and down the road with but in the tight wodds trails it was just to big and clumsy so I sold it and gave up. Now years later I just run Stihl full synthetic in all my saws and weedwacker Anyway here is a link to my favorite 2 stroke oil. Belray MC-1 full synthetic race oil

Why would any body give up racing. A couple of friends of mine in their eighties still going. Thanks

Attachments

• Asker.jpg
    Asker.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back