MK 348 Lickity Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffmooch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After looking for years I finally found a MK 348 Lickity Splitter for sale. It runs and splits but it needs going over. The biggest problem is the shift from low speed to high speed cylinder doesnt seem to work right. Any ideas where I might get a repair manual? I know at one time there was a guy on here who had the manual on pdf file and would share it with others. Any help is appreciated.20171108_125709.jpg

Yes it seems to have plenty of oil. It will split wood fine bit it wont shift right into high pressure low speed. The previous owner had actually bolted a 3' wood ruler to the shift mechanism so it could be shifted manually. That is one reason I think the shift cylinder has something wrong with it. The linkage could also be out of adjustment. Thats why I am looking for a copy of the manual.

Did you find a manual? I think Joe (rarefish383) may have it on pdf.

here's a shot of that page,

IMG (Small).jpg

Did you find a manual? I think Joe (rarefish383) may have it on pdf.

here's a shot of that page,

View attachment 621137
Yes I did find a manual. It was very helpful. I was able to fix the splitter There is a small valve on the hydraulic line going to the shift cylinder that I thought was a shutoff valve. Turns out it is a damper valve. I adjusted it and now it works great. Thanks for the help.

Good deal.

That is a flow control valve. You may have times after it sits a while the ram wants to stutter upon reaching the wood, a slight adjustment of that knob will do the trick.

I see you are missing the retraction link for lowering it down for the big wood.

Good deal.

That is a flow control valve. You may have times after it sits a while the ram wants to stutter upon reaching the wood, a slight adjustment of that knob will do the trick.

I see you are missing the retraction link for lowering it down for the big wood.
Yes. I thought I might try to make one. My buddy has the same splitter and I might try to use his as a pattern to make one.

Searching for a little help with a Lickity Splitter I bought in 2012.
She has been working fine, but recently several issues have come up. I believe one has been addressed already, in that the control lever linkage started flipping upside down. The forum tells me I need some bushings and better bolts to tighten things up.

Next, the auto-shift valve is acting up. Some times the ram stops against the wood and I must manually push the piston in to get it to shift. The oil tank is full, however I did notice a small oil drip on one of the copper tubing connections.

Last and most important.....last week I was splitting wood and suddenly a major stream of oil shot out from behind and under the cylinder. I shut the splitter down and have not used it since. I'm thinking there must be a broken oil line under the cylinder and I' a bit apprehensive to start tearing something apart without very much knowledge. I do feel confident that some of y'all know a whole lot more about these machines. Mine is a MK348, I believe! I'll try to attach a picture or two. Appreciate any suggestions or feedback you can give.

John

Attachments

• DSC00375.JPG
    DSC00375.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    574.7 KB · Views: 41
There are no lines under the cylinder. You either have a leak at the bottom of the hose that connects to the center port on the cylinder or an o ring leaking.

If it is the o ring, remove the wedge. Pull the inside ram out, replace the o ring inside of it with a #329 o ring and 1 # 425 on the piston
Pull the outside tube off and replace the #425 o ring at the rear of the tube.

Around $3-4 for all the o rings.

There are no lines under the cylinder. You either have a leak at the bottom of the hose that connects to the center port on the cylinder or an o ring leaking.

If it is the o ring, remove the wedge. Pull the inside ram out, replace the o ring inside of it with a #329 o ring and 1 # 425 on the piston
Pull the outside tube off and replace the #425 o ring at the rear of the tube.

Around $3-4 for all the o rings.
Appreciate the information, Super3! I have moved splitter into my shop today. I'll try to check it out Saturday.

Honestly, I did not have an opportunity to tear into it yet. One of my son's got me tired up on a work project at his home and so, I have put the splitter into my shop, but haven't turned a wrench. I will update when I check it out, maybe take some pictures and might need some additional advice from you, depending what I get into.

Appreciate you keeping me in mind. It's kind of scary sometimes when you adventure into the unknown, but that's how we learn.

John

That adjustment picture is exactly what I need for mine! anyone have a clear picture of it that one is so blurry I cant read it.
Thanks!!

Back