MMWS Stihl 461 vs. Dolmar 7900 ported?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think I should do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

User Name Here

Lowly Firewood Cutter
Reaction score
I currently have a Stihl 461 ported by MMWS. I love the saw! It cuts great, starts easily and is a very fun saw. Now here's where the question comes in. I have always been partial to Stihl. I know this is a very debated topic as to whether Stihl is the best or not - I like them and never had trouble out of any one of them. However, I did buy a Dolmar PS421 a while back and have been thoroughly impressed with the quality and performance of it. It has gotten me thinking about a 7900. Perhaps a Dolly 7900 would be better than my 461? I am starting to wonder, might the Dolmar be even more glorious than the banana stuffed 461? Unfortunately, I can't afford to just go buy a 7900 and have it ported to find out. I would have to sell one of my saws to fund the purchase, and I am not ready to give up my small limbing saw (Dolmar 421) and I'm not willing to sell the first saw I ever purchased (Stihl 440) so that would leave only the ported 461 to sell. Am I crazy to think about selling the 461? Am I definitely missing out on the 7900? Or are there only negligible differences that wouldn't be worth the swap? I'm hoping to get input from someone who has ran both. My 461 has only about 3-4 cords worth of run time on it from purchase, maybe 1 since being ported. Please enlighten me! I've stuck a poll for those interested in voting for what I should do.

There was never any love for the ms460 while the ms440 was in production. We all just ran the 440 cuz it was less expensive. With the advent of the ms441, the 460 seemed to gain a new lease on life. Never run the 461 but I do have the 7900. Bone stock, it will give a stock ms660 a dam good run for its money. I don’t know how much more you can tweak out of the 7900 design over stock. I don’t think dolmar left much behind. Me, I would just go with a 395xp and skip the porting. I like that saw so much I have two, one for each hand. Good luck with your choice.

461 is no turd once ported. Id think the 2 would be very close. Comes down to dealer support, and what feels good in your hands. John Reiley has spent a ton of money on all the popular saw models, and has an extensive video library on youtube. I can't recall if there is a 7900 in particular, but he has multiple Solo 665 videos stock, ported,665 with 7300 top end, 665 with 7910 topend, and a true 681. Also has videos on the 461. It would be worth a view I think. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkflLEcg3u9JGM7eZXAzfJQ

Ive bought and sold a metric ton of ported saws. There's only a couple that I have regretted and they were saws that are no longer avail to buy. I wouldnt fret over selling a saw that I can easily walk in to a dealer and replace with another one off the shelf, if I had regretted selling it. The 461 is such a saw. They are still avail for the time being if you want to try the Dolly. One thing on the Dolly, with Makita rebadging the saws, if a fella wants to have a 7910 with Dolmar on it, you should get it before they are transitioned out.

461 is no turd once ported. Id think the 2 would be very close. Comes down to dealer support, and what feels good in your hands. John Reiley has spent a ton of money on all the popular saw models, and has an extensive video library on youtube. I can't recall if there is a 7900 in particular, but he has multiple Solo 665 videos stock, ported,665 with 7300 top end, 665 with 7910 topend, and a true 681. Also has videos on the 461. It would be worth a view I think. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkflLEcg3u9JGM7eZXAzfJQ

Ive bought and sold a metric ton of ported saws. There's only a couple that I have regretted and they were saws that are no longer avail to buy. I wouldnt fret over selling a saw that I can easily walk in to a dealer and replace with another one off the shelf, if I had regretted selling it. The 461 is such a saw. They are still avail for the time being if you want to try the Dolly. One thing on the Dolly, with Makita rebadging the saws, if a fella wants to have a 7910 with Dolmar on it, you should get it before they are transitioned out.
I've been quite impressed with the 461 ported, but that is the only ported saw that I have ever ran so I have nothing to compare it to. You are correct it would certainly be a saw that I could "rebuy" if I had seller's remorse but then I'd have to send it off to be ported again, which isn't a terribly bad thing just an inconvenience. If the Dolmar is something I were to buy, I would want the Dolmar name on it instead of Makita, even though i know there is no difference.

461 and 7900 They are both top shelf. Id be happy with either, just like anyone else. And I agree on the labeling. I like Dolmar on the orange saws and Makita on the teal. Im a big Makita fan for tools, and am just used to the teal blue Makita. It will be weird to see makita on an orange saw.

So it seems like there really isn't enough of a difference to sell the 461 and get a 7900/7910 to be worth the effort. Unless the curiosity is just more than I can bear. If I come across an awesome deal on a dolly I would be willing to try one out for sure but I think I'll just hold on to the 461 and save up to get a dolly too. That way I can maybe compare the 2 head to head. I appreciate the input. I wouldn't necessarily mind trading to try one but I would definitely want to trade ported for ported. A man can dream I guess. I'm afraid this would be a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side

Ive done several trades/ deals with "exclusive trade back/ buy back" clauses in the deal. Make sure respect and friendship is the foundation of the deal and you will have nothing to worry about.

Seems to me the only way you're gonna be able to properly judge your ported 461 is to sell it to a logger and ask him to let you know how it works out after a year.:chainsaw:

I've owned a couple 660s, 460s, and 440s ( none ported) and thought the same thing. Read about all the hype over the 7900s. So I had to find out for myself. So I bought one and they are one heck of a saw. It had no problem running a 36 inch bar. Yes it was pretty nose heavy, but it oiled it good anud was very smooth. Still regret selling that thing. uploadfromtaptalk1455391900344.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455391931691.jpgI posted these before, but it had no problem taking care of this 54 inch white oak. You could always try to find a project 7900/7910 and fix it yourself to keep cost down. Then send it to be ported so you can run them side by side. [emoji2] [emoji2]

I currently have a Stihl 461 ported by MMWS. I love the saw! It cuts great, starts easily and is a very fun saw. Now here's where the question comes in. I have always been partial to Stihl. I know this is a very debated topic as to whether Stihl is the best or not - I like them and never had trouble out of any one of them. However, I did buy a Dolmar PS421 a while back and have been thoroughly impressed with the quality and performance of it. It has gotten me thinking about a 7900. Perhaps a Dolly 7900 would be better than my 461? I am starting to wonder, might the Dolmar be even more glorious than the banana stuffed 461? Unfortunately, I can't afford to just go buy a 7900 and have it ported to find out. I would have to sell one of my saws to fund the purchase, and I am not ready to give up my small limbing saw (Dolmar 421) and I'm not willing to sell the first saw I ever purchased (Stihl 440) so that would leave only the ported 461 to sell. Am I crazy to think about selling the 461? Am I definitely missing out on the 7900? Or are there only negligible differences that wouldn't be worth the swap? I'm hoping to get input from someone who has ran both. My 461 has only about 3-4 cords worth of run time on it from purchase, maybe 1 since being ported. Please enlighten me! I've stuck a poll for those interested in voting for what I should do.
Way to help with the cost is get a 6421 at Home Depot rental. I lucked out getting a brand new one for $150. Kid working there thought the saw was all messed up. All that was wrong was the chain was on backwards!! I kid you not! Get the Mahle 79cc and you're good to go! All the big saw I need for around here.

Good thread you got going here. I would love to run both and feel the difference, my vote was you're crazy and keep the ported 461 only because I know that would be a bada$$ saw to wield and I've never had a dolmar in my paws. So I really don't have anything indifferent against a dolmar just some sweet videos of Jack (hotsaw101 on YouTube at high rev work saws I believe) killin trees, and other AS members videos of healthy saws. If they are reliable and run, I'd darn sure pack a dolmar/Makita, I've got a ms 460 stocker that's runs so I'm kinda partial to the 461 ported (hence the vote) but you should take both LOL! Not an option I know but your head would hurt less that way and win-win. Keep up the info for my uninformed sake so's I can learn sumpin!

I like the idea of getting a fixer upper or a home Depot 6421. I've been looking for home Depot saws but I've been unable to find one close by. It doesn't seem fixer upper dollyso are very common either. I think I need to find a way to get the 7900/7910 and keep the 461 just so I can compare side by side. I'm very fond of my 461. It seemed strong stock, even before getting it broken in, but it's a different animal ported - and arguably is still not broken in! I honestly think if I sold it to get the dolly that I would miss it, even if the dolly was "better"

Back