Mobile/Portable Sawbuck to clean up slash and make kindling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IYAM

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Each year I cut/split/burn 4 to 6 cords of firewood on my property, and have found cleaning up the slash (smaller limbs and branches) to be a chore, usually cutting up some for kindling, but still have to haul multiple pickup loads to dump in certain areas to control erosion, etc.

I came up with this mobile/portable sawbuck to tow behind my gator. After driving up to where I dropped and chopped a tree, I load the sawbuck with slash, slice it up with a chainsaw in about a minute, then throw the kindling in the bed of the gator. Repeat until slash is gone. I can generate a large amount of kindling in a very short period of time, then drive back near my house to dump it for use during the winter. I also drive loads to my neighbors for their use as kindling. I've cut limbs up to about 5 inches in diameter and about 12 feet long in this sawbuck.

The sides are simply the frame pieces from a futon bed/couch, attached to a bottom wood frame using hinges. The sides can swing down towards the ground, although I don't use this feature.

Cutting between the slats of the frames prevents the kindling pieces from flying back at you while cutting.

The futon frames are aluminum. I've hit the flame slats with the saw chain a couple of times ... no sparks are generated, and it doesn't dull the chain much (as it would if it was steel).

kindling5.jpg kindling3.jpg kindling2.jpg

Attachments

• kindling4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Yeah, when I was using it the first couple of times I nicked the futon frame metal (aluminum). Since then I am more careful and maintain a strong grip and concentration ... haven't nicked it since.

i could see this as a concept with a number of stake pockets and wood stakes , would be easier on the chain should you hit it

That's a good idea Trapper_Pete!

Now I'm kicking myself for not using wood stakes! I think I was too enamored with the idea of finding a use for the futon frame which has been laying around for decades, plus the concept of hinged sides to allow me to spread for loading then squeeze upright for cutting. Turns out I didn't need the hinges.

To top it off, I have a pile of wood deck railing balusters (nominal 2x2, 36 inches long I think) that would makeup the stakes ...

If I were to make it all over again, I would use slightly taller wheels with a wider wheelbase, and have a slightly higher stance.

One thing I didn't mention is that I put a sacrificial strip of 3/4" waferboard down as the "cutting board" to prevent cutting into the main wood frame ... just put the screws between stakes so you don't hit them with the saw chain.

Philbert,

Re: farm gates ... my neighbor saw it and said it looked like a minature portable calf table!

I generally don't save anything smaller then the size of my wrist , if you need a visual on that the largest you can get a standard mens watch band and one or two more notches. smaller than that and I call it rabbit habitat and make a pile. where I have been cutting a few years and making those piles the rabbits are sure loving those piles droppings and tracks in the snow all around those piles.

I do have a saw buck but it is stationary I used 48 inch 2x6 my last one was all 2x4 it got moved to the woods where I cut but it then rotted apart over a few years.

sawbuck.JPG

Back