modding 480CD?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawsmith

Reaction score
HI all,

first post for me here although been lurking for some time.

I have a very low hours 480CD that I use for occasional milling- mostly canting larger trees in the woods that i cant get my bandsaw too. I have basic knowledge of porting 2 stroke engines- mostly high performance snowmobiles, I'm thinking of just cleaning up the exhaust port as the 80s era casting/ machine work is sub par.

I find the muffler to "sound" quite unrestricted as is. ive searched many forums and have noit found much other than that this saws a dog, don't mod it, this saw is awesome etc...

whats everyones thoughts on cleaning exhaust port up, should i ditch base gasket or install new to keep stock compression to prevent excess heat?

clean port-gut muffler-ditch base gasket?

Clean port-ditch gasket- leave muffler unmolested?

clean port only?

leave stock?

sorry for long post,

thanks all for your input.

There’s two different mufflers on the 480 cd. One is the exhaust on the upper right side. The one most call the jungle muffler with the exhaust louvers in the lower front. The exhaust with the louvers is suppose to breathe better. Next is cleaning up the intake and exhaust port. Raising the exhaust port and lowering the intake ports.just a little can make a big difference, then shorten the length of the piston. Advance the timing.
I suggest going slow when porting.

For a light mod look for a jungle muffler, cut the length of the piston, advance the timing,

I have a few 480/380 saws as my victims someday. But we tested the suggestions above on a race 2100. Speed cutting.

Funny I just purchased a used 480 cd that runs awesome. I had my buddy’s new 480 cd that was a dog for some reason. I didn’t check it out I just traded it off. It cut but was no match for my 2100.

Thank you for the help with that. I was hoping that one of the experienced experts on husqvarna chainsaws and specifically the 2100/480 saws would see this and give the right info. This is very helpful for me and when things are getting better and I have the funds to get it done I will be sure to update my progress on this project. Appreciate it Huskybill. Have a good one and stay safe out there.

I just gave you some basic ideas on what we did with the 2100’s. I never touched the squish or move the transfer ports inside the cylinder. There’s some experienced porting experts here who do that.

Once it’s assembled don’t forget to pressure test the assembly.

Back