Modding a Dolmar PS9010: Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first saw I ever had ported was a 9010 by Big Dave Neiger almost 5 years ago. Although, at the time I only paid $500 for it NIB on eBay it seemed no one was buying them and they were going at almost give away prices. Even he was impressed with the results. So has anyone else that has ever seen it run. He claimed it was built to some of the tightest tolerances of any saw he'd ever been into and that it would take far more tanks to break in than most other saws. He was correct, it still keeps getting better. Keep in mind, I run a lot of different saws for the fun factor so it's not used like a professional would with a work saw. However after an estimated 40 tanks, it does not seem to have peaked. It will absolutely smoke any stock 066/660 that I have owned or run but, I guess that should be expected. It is a tad heavy and as you all know I am a Stihl guy but, one of my all time favorites are the Husky 2100's and it's ilk. I had one of those slightly worked over by DN also. The 9010 runs right along side.

How much more saw is it than 7900? Torquewise? How much more might 9010 do on a mill than a 7900? Or even a 6400? I am considering milling a little and would appreciate some input. 6400/6401 is a lot less $. Does there seem to be a threshold of size (power) of saw that really makes a difference?

How much more saw is it than 7900? Torquewise? How much more might 9010 do on a mill than a 7900? Or even a 6400? I am considering milling a little and would appreciate some input. 6400/6401 is a lot less $. Does there seem to be a threshold of size (power) of saw that really makes a difference?

I've never had this one on a mill so I can't really say for sure but the torque is SIGNIFICANTLY more than a 7900.
I pondered long and hard before getting this one because the 7900 has so much more power than any saw I've owned before the last year.
After running the 9010, the chain speed is a little slower out of the cut and the speed in NORMAL stuff is very close, but the torque is much higher. A lot like my 084. Not quite, but closer.
After Brads "tweaking" I believe it will be VERY close to the 084 except in the kind of stuff we don't see around here.

Mike

Da, I prefer torque over rpm. I just got PS401, seems it has lots torque for 40cc. I expect all the Sachs Dolmar is that way. I might get some more :)

Da, I prefer torque over rpm. I just got PS401, seems it has lots torque for 40cc. I expect all the Sachs Dolmar is that way. I might get some more :)

My 401 is my absolute "go to" saw.
If I'm cutting firewood, IT is there!
I ported it a while back and it rocks.

Mike

Da, I know this one has more potential. Just removing tab on muffler outlet helped a lot. Saw is running rich, plug is black. I leaned it a little, it runs better now. Not much smoke. I need get a tach.

I mean what is modified? From reading forums, I assume it is muffler modification, port and polish. What else? Is blueprinting done to saw engines? What additional/different is done to competition saw?

I mean what is modified? From reading forums, I assume it is muffler modification, port and polish. What else? Is blueprinting done to saw engines? What additional/different is done to competition saw?

That answer my friend can be anywhere from simply drilling a hole in the muffler, to an all out seperate head, finger ported, external transfer, piped racing saw.
Search for threads on porting and you will have long white whiskers before you finish reading all the info that is available.

Mike

That answer my friend can be anywhere from simply drilling a hole in the muffler, to an all out seperate head, finger ported, external transfer, piped racing saw.
Search for threads on porting and you will have long white whiskers before you finish reading all the info that is available.

Mike
Haha already white, lazily trimmed....but from other than chainsawings :)

My 401 is my absolute "go to" saw.
If I'm cutting firewood, IT is there!
I ported it a while back and it rocks.

Mike

You and I sure seem to think a lot a like. After Big Dave did 4 or 5 larger saws for me, we had a discussion. I thought it would be cool to have a small, light woods ported saw not just another fire breathing big one. so, I had him do my 401. Kinda did it as a goof however, I love it and it is a ton of fun to run.

Back