Modding the new MS201T - The truth inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those looking at a 201T, be aware that Stihl has discontinued the "undercover kinda like a recall" program.
For the last couple of years Stihl corporate was subsidizing the cost of the MS201T upgrade kit for the older 201T. The kit included a carburetor, ignition coil and flywheel for about $120.00 as long as you asked the right people and then they asked the right people:)
I recently got a reorder on this kit (we sold quite a few) and they were more than twice what they used to cost.
I have a 201T that Brad did and it runs a bit stronger than the kit or new 201T.
The caveat is the muffler mod makes it a little louder too. My climber loves the Snellerized 201T and for guys looking for the performance boost to put it back in the class with the 200T, having Brad do one is the cheapest and likely best option.
Dave

An interesting update to this info is as follows: I have an MS200 & MS201, both with rear handles. The 201 is a very early model which sometimes died at idle & had a tendency to load up. After reading Brad's thread, I removed the H limiter & did the muff mod. The saw immediately woke up & had an excellent throttle response. I then had Brad do the timing advance & the performance improvement was doubled! One problem remained. That was the $#%?!* coil which was limited to 13,000RPM. Then the "kit" came out as described above. I found out that the coil in the kit was limited at 14,000RPM. I figured using the new coil would make tuning easier, so I went to my dealer to order one. At that time the coil, alone, was around $95 & the entire kit was $89.95?!? I ordered the kit & had the dealer install the coil. They wanted me to put on the new flywheel as well, so I did. The throttle response with the new flywheel from the kit was not as sharp as it had been with Brad's modified original flywheel, so I switched back to the original. The moral of the story is that Brad's timing advance is, I suspect, a little greater than that provided on the newer flywheel now being placed on these saws, & that, along with a muff mod, will produce a noticeably better performing saw. The new coil did make tuning much easier for me, & the exact sequence for that process was described in another thread. I can't speak for the newest MS201s which are M-Tronic as to how they might respond to the timing advance, but a muff mod always seems to help.

I got to handle a stock ms 201 today nice saw....my neighbor had his tree's trimmed.... it was boggy though sounded like the low needed to be adjusted....once spooled up it seemed to cut pretty fast... i offered to adjust it for the guy but he said it was month old and no don't touch it....tried to tell him about brads modifications and he just kinda shrugged his shoulders....said he missed his old 200t.....im sure i could have made it run a lil better with a few carb adjustments....Oh well not my problem LOL....it felt good in my hand i must say....

Every time I get notifications of this thread progressing I kick myself for not just boxing up the saw and sending it that way. Wind has been blowing for a week strait or so it seems. @blsnelling what does the turn around look like?

Brad - I just picked up a 201T and would like to ship it out for your mods. Do you still offer this service?

Brad! Been lurking/ gaining knowedge and insight from the site over the last 6 months, decided to join and be apart of the community. I’m interested in send my 201 I just purchased to you sometime in the next month. Are you still interested in yet another mod lol.

Thank you!

The modification (with improved flywheel, ignition module and carburetor) was introduced from serial number 1 77 543 232. It`s descriped in TI 40.2013.

Hope it's OK to revive this ancient thread.

Looking to possibly buy a used MS201t with (I believe) serial #1145 351 050(x). Can anyone confirm that:
(a) such a serial number is possible
and
(b) such a serial # would have the improved components and therefore not require modification.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Latest posts

Back