Modding the new MS201T - The truth inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a part number, not like a serial number. The 1145 is the series identification of the MS 201/201T etc. Also this number is to low to be a serial number for that machine.

Thanks fellas. Seller provided that number over the phone. Where should he have looked? Figured it would make sense to at least start with a later unit, especially now that Brad no longer mods these.

I'll offer these mods for $50 + shipping. If interested, I can also supply the saw. A new modded saw would run you $625 + shipping. This wasn't the goal or point of this thread, but I hate to see a saw run at less than it's potential. I'm selling this first one for actual cost, $575 + shipping.
You still selling these beefed up 201t or should I just go get a 355t

Now for the timed cuts.

The muffler mod made a significant difference in this saw. In the vid, I'm showing you how it runs with light, medium, heavy, and very heavy loads. These are not all meant to be representative of the saws best cut times. When I throw out those cuts just made for demonstration, and take the best couple of times, the muffler mod was good for a 22% gain.

I then proceeded to advance the ignition timing. I had a strong hunch that this was a big piece of the puzzle. I was right. The saw picked up another 20% over the muffler mod alone. It is now nearly 38% faster than stock!

Of course, everyone wants to know how it compares to a 200T. With a muffler mod only, they're dead even. With the timing advanced on the 201T, it was 20% faster than a muffler modded 200T! Would the 200T pick up another 20% with some timing advance? I don't know. That wasn't part of this test.

Once both the muffler was modded and the timing advanced, throttle response seems as snappy as a 200T, IMHO.

As I figured, a lot of what we're hearing is less than dependable for those looking to purchase one of these. With proper tuning, they run well, even in stock form. Once modded, they are a phenominal saw, as I suspected it would be.

Hi Brad - how many degrees did you advance it and wouldn't advancing the timing require a higher grade fuel to prevent detonation???

I know Brad said he was advancing them 6-8 degrees. It's back in this thread a few pages.

Hi Brad - how many degrees did you advance it and wouldn't advancing the timing require a higher grade fuel to prevent detonation???

I have one (rear handle as well as a 200, also a rear handle). Brad has done the timing advance on the 201. I ran it with 92 octane E-free fuel@50/1 for awhile & now use V-P 94 octane@50/1. There is no detonation with either, & it a very strong performer.

Back