Model Forests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mills don't care, but the stewardship forest program does, its something I've been putting off, classes are like once or twice a year, and before I've always had to work cause they seem to like wed or thur nights in centrailia... We'll see what happens in the next few months.

Wait till they start filling up like they are down here and you'd be the first to get cut off, then the companies get put on X amount a day from each side, and then the private good wood gets cut off before company wood. A guy that works on the same tree farm I do just did it 5 days 8 hours a day for the creditication, if you were going into weyco export they'll only take the stuff if they're in desperation for wood from non accredited loggers we have a few friends that are that way. The money part you need to find a niche it'll help and get good at it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Its something I've been meaning to do for 2 years now... the stewerdship forests are a big deal around here.
Worked for that kind of stuff before and never would again the money wasn't worth it all the extra bs we had to do with leaving wood or making snags we lost money.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

20 acres to get enough savings ahead, after that I stay fairly busy. Just need to have a cushion before jumping.

There in lies the problem. The cushion.
For me it's the allure of a cushion.... that never really comes. I don't question your heart. Debt sucks. It's one thing to work for someone else, it's a whole different ball of wax when you start buying and operating your own equipment and business. It can own you real quick. Then it never really is as fun. But that is Gypo life in the West.

Yeah, you keep hoping that skidder engine with 25k hrs makes it though another job and another and another type thing.

20 acres around here I'd have to scout to consider. We usually don't mess with small lots like that, costs a lot to move equipment. Usually work 100+ acre lots. Granted trees per acre isn't too high, might have 30-40 cords an acre on decent land.

Back