Modification box brand 27 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firecatf7333

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a typical box store 27 ton splitter. The cub cadet verison to be specific. Its a heavy duty well built splitter but I'm wondering if its possible to add an 8 or 10 way wedge. My neighbor has a fab shop and I'm going to have him do it. What size motor would be needed and what size pump? Do I need a cooler? Will the current hydraulic ram work or does it need to be bigger? Thx

Bigger cylinder, higher pressure to give you more tons of push force. Then you have to go with a bigger pump and a lot more horsepower engine to get your speed back. Then you have to reinforce the beam structurally. By the time you’re done you won’t recognize the splitter.
Personally I would go the other direction: downsize the cylinder to get it to go faster and make your cycles faster.
I would just run it as is, learn what you like and don’t like, and save your money towards the second version of what you really want. You’ll find out that six and eight ways take tremendous power and that may not be the fastest production for you, depending on what kind of wood you’re running

My limited experience told me that multi-wedges can be more trouble than they're worth, unless you do straight grained wood all the time. If I was going to do a multi, it would only be a 4 way, and would have to be easy to get out of the way to go single wedge at any time. With what I'd be splitting.

There is a reason the big splitters run $10k plus.
And many of them still split poorly with multi wedges.
I used a four-way on the TW-6.
From the posts I read, those that had six-ways seldom used them due to jamming, and being a bugger to un-jamb.

If you were to use the components you have, and make a vertical table top splitter out of it, your still single splitting, but with much less wood movement or handling. Add a log lift, and now you have a much more ergonomic and efficient set up.

I hate to sound like an echo chamber, but. I built my own splitter several years ago. Decided single wasnt enough, made a 4 way, wasnt enough, made a 6 way. Trashed it, rebuilt it stronger. Worked well. Cycle time went down like crazy, from pump being in second stage so long. Ended up just using the single or 4 way. That's on 5 inch cylinder, 16gpm, relief set at 2800psi.

Back