modify flip line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready

Reaction score
We have a flip line that has bunched-up cloth cover such that the traveling clip will not pass over it easily back and forth, so we bought a new line.

Is it safe practice to shorten the old line to below the worn cloth, re-install the eye securely, and put it back into use as a backup line?

It is about 10 feet long and we intend to shorten it about 2' to an 8' length,

what do you think about this?

I'm pretty sure most people are going to say no-no-no don't do it, so let me be the first to tell you to go ahead and do it.

I'm studying mine right now, and there's no earthly reason you can't re-secure it the exact same way they did at the factory. There's one crimp that secures the cloth to the wire, and another that secures the cable together at the eye. Mine (the critical one) is about 1 1/4" long, and appears to be made of copper or a copper alloy. They probably used a hydraulic crimper, but they can be hammered shut just as well.

It's not rocket surgery; you have my blessings. Maybe everyone who tells you to buy a new one could volunteer to pay for it?

Last edited:
A spliced eye would be the most secure.

I have heard of custom made ones... like for competition... steel cable with a bull rope cover, hand spliced eyes....

Homemade wouldn't be ansi approved though... I don't know what your work situation is.

I know I would not want one that was hammered shut as my primary life support.

Especially since you already have bought a new one, I would take it out of service or use for something other than life support.

Latest posts

Back