Mods to a 372 xp xt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrick cole

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for what you would do you your 372 x torq. I'm going to throw a new jug and piston in mine and rebuild carb along with a muffler mod. Is their anything else I should do while she is apart that doesn't take anything too fancy or complicated to do?

Port match it
Cylinder to base transfers
Take the transfer covers off and port match those to the cylinder if they require it. I’ve never done a 372 yet but the 550 transfer covers needed work.

One thing I have thought of is to modify the intake horn so that there is no divider. However keep the divider and the boot stock, this would still keep separate air charges but possibly increase volumetric efficiency. Again I’ve thought about it, but not sure how this would affect turbulence. I like the x torq design and fuel efficiency thus the keeping of the divider and intake boot stock. Anyone with any info on this I’d love to hear your opinion, or fact of the matter :)

Make sure your base gasket is good and use sealant on it, there’s so little of it from factory. Also check the base gasket, on the 550 they were a little to big in places causing air flow restrictions for transfers. Trimming the gasket with an exacto to match the base helps.

Gains are minimal with the above mentioned, but throttle response should improve a bit without compromising engine longevity.

It’s coming up one year on my 372, so I’ll be checking these things out soon enough.

My two cents

Port match it
Cylinder to base transfers
Take the transfer covers off and port match those to the cylinder if they require it. I’ve never done a 372 yet but the 550 transfer covers needed work.

One thing I have thought of is to modify the intake horn so that there is no divider. However keep the divider and the boot stock, this would still keep separate air charges but possibly increase volumetric efficiency. Again I’ve thought about it, but not sure how this would affect turbulence. I like the x torq design and fuel efficiency thus the keeping of the divider and intake boot stock. Anyone with any info on this I’d love to hear your opinion, or fact of the matter :)

Make sure your base gasket is good and use sealant on it, there’s so little of it from factory. Also check the base gasket, on the 550 they were a little to big in places causing air flow restrictions for transfers. Trimming the gasket with an exacto to match the base helps.

Gains are minimal with the above mentioned, but throttle response should improve a bit without compromising engine longevity.

It’s coming up one year on my 372, so I’ll be checking these things out soon enough.

My two cents
This one I cut the divider out of the intake boot and the part that the air filter sets on. It's also had a little port work done, nothing extreme. It runs real good but drinks the fuel.

This one I cut the divider out of the intake boot and the part that the air filter sets on. It's also had a little port work done, nothing extreme and I didn't touch the upper transfers just the lower ones It runs real good but drinks the fuel.

Sure does sound healthy!!!
Is that a full comp 28?

Mine pulls 28 full comp no prob so I’m sure yours can too. I recently switched to full skip cause it’s just less teeth to sharpen. Probably easier on the saw and easier on my patience so a win win

If this was my main saw I would just do a base gasket delete, check your squish, and do a muffler mod. Hyway and Lil Red Barn sell popup pistons for this saw if your wanting to up the compression even more than a base gasket delete does. I've used the Lil Red Barn pop up and liked it.

Ronnie I have not seen that available before. Thx for the info. How much bigger is the pop up in terms of thousandths?

Looking for what you would do you your 372 x torq. I'm going to throw a new jug and piston in mine and rebuild carb along with a muffler mod. Is their anything else I should do while she is apart that doesn't take anything too fancy or complicated to do?
Are you firewood cutting or racing that saw? If just firewood cutting, open the muffler a little to let heat off, keep a sharp chain and cut with it.

If this was my main saw I would just do a base gasket delete, check your squish, and do a muffler mod. Hyway and Lil Red Barn sell popup pistons for this saw if your wanting to up the compression even more than a base gasket delete does. I've used the Lil Red Barn pop up and liked it.

Would it be safe to do both clearance wise with the pop-up? Wouldn't that leave virtually 0 squish?

Are you firewood cutting or racing that saw? If just firewood cutting, open the muffler a little to let heat off, keep a sharp chain and cut with it.
Just cutting wood, pine mostly stuff that's up and around 24 inches. Want it to pull my full comp through which right now she is real tired.

Would it be safe to do both clearance wise with the pop-up? Wouldn't that leave virtually 0 squish?
Squish should be about the same with or without a pop up but if you do a base gasket delete you need to measure it. On the couple of x torq saws that I did a base gasket delete on the squish was around .016 and I took a little off the pistons to get the squish closer to .020, although I have been told that .015 would be ok.

Latest posts

Back