• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Monster maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have one and I split more wood with that than any other splitting means I have. I have a Fiskars (couple different models), a hydraulic splitter with a nice running Honda engine on it, several conventional type mauls, the assorted axes, etc...
The Monster maul turns out to be the least amount of total effort to get my wood split.
The biggest reasons are that the wood can be split where it's at, doesn't need to be put on a splitting block like it would with the Fiskars, Doesn't need to be lifted onto the hydraulic splitter, doesn't get stuck like any other manual splitting tool does.
I will concur that the Sotz is superior to most of the imitation ones as the other brands I've tried don't seem to work as well but I wouldn't pay no $200 for one, lol.

Just saw this thread and I am interested in a monster maul. My dad had one, but has since misplaced it through the years. I was just curious if anyone on here still had one or knew where I could find one. Thanks.

Just saw this thread and I am interested in a monster maul. My dad had one, but has since misplaced it through the years. I was just curious if anyone on here still had one or knew where I could find one. Thanks.

Welcome aboard Jack!

I still have mine and haven't used it in a number of years. It's a very aggressive tool and heavy as heck to boot. You've got to put some real oomph into it and going at the right kind of wood. I still like swinging a little, but generally just fire up the gas splitter for most of what I use anymore.

Even though I don't use it, it wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping though to send it.

Give this a try for searching for somewhere to buy one...

http://bfy.tw/4rX2

Good luck!

Welcome aboard Jack!

I still have mine and haven't used it in a number of years. It's a very aggressive tool and heavy as heck to boot. You've got to put some real oomph into it and going at the right kind of wood. I still like swinging a little, but generally just fire up the gas splitter for most of what I use anymore.

Even though I don't use it, it wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping though to send it.

Give this a try for searching for somewhere to buy one...

http://bfy.tw/4rX2

Good luck!

Would you be interested in selling it? I sure would like to have one and I know it would put a smile on my Dad's face to see one again. I haven't had much luck anywhere else.

Would you be interested in selling it? I sure would like to have one and I know it would put a smile on my Dad's face to see one again. I haven't had much luck anywhere else.

I'd sell mine, except shipping from where I live to KS would pretty much negate any value either of us hold or might gain from it. Honestly though, I'm not typically one for selling things as I usually feel (know) that as soon as I sell something, I'll need it for something. I think I picked it up for $5 at a yard sale about 20 years ago. Maybe that's an option for you?

Try the link I provided. It will take you to a Google search that will result in links to a number of sources for buying them. Amazon and Northern Tool were right at the top of the list. I don't know if they're exactly the same as the old one I have, which is a dark red / almost rust color (no, it's not really rust!)

Monster maul is the best splitting tool I found in decades of splitting so long as your body can take it. The shock from the metal handle to the joints seems to catch up with most people that used them for very long intervals for years. Best used for intermittent use on big rounds by young uns with good bones and joints. Even though I have sensitive joints I will occaisonally use 1 of mine. Think I have 3, 1 of which has a longer handle. I did about 90 to 95% my splitting with the Sotzs for about 3 decades. I wouldn't reccomend the 8 lb though. They just don't have the umph to get through the tough stuff easy. A good splitting axe like the original Fiskars for average straight grained wood with the MMaul to back it up on tougher stuff and a stong 20"+ chainsaw to cut through the baddest knots is about as efficient as a lone wood cutter can be producing some firewood for profit.

An old thread and I'm new here but my wood burning days are over....I'm in Denver, enough said.
Can't hardly believe the prices mentioned on the Sotz monster mauls. I have two of them, a ladies version and the standard heavier one both in excellent condition. Not interested in charging eBay prices or trying to ship these "monsters" but if anyone close by is interested shoot me a pm.

Latest posts

Back