monster saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That first one's a C series or an XP-1000, right? I didn't know you could get huge bars for those saws. All the ones I've seen were 21".

yeah the first one is an xp-1000. yeah that is the bar that came with it. it is a 36" cannon bar. that saw runs like a beast. i am not sure where the guy got the bar but i know it is a little on the old side. and the second one is a 990 but it is a gear drive not a direct. but it has a 9 tooth 1/2" pitch chain it cuts faster than my buddy's 028. but the only downside of that saw is that it weighs in close to 40 lbs. itis good for big trees that are down and limbed. but both of them run great and start on the 1st or second pull.

You wouldn't happen to have spare/junk C or XP series castings, would you?

Way to go with those saws. They don't make pretty monters like that any more.

Thats a nice looking 990, and its actually got some paint on it still.
:cool:

Old Saws

I see a lot of old saw's on the post and every one talking about them do you really use them to make a living or are they just bragging rights and collector pieces something to talk about . just wondering with all the modern tech. seems to me there are some great saws on the market so a person wouldn't have to resort to antq.

whell i tell you what i use just about all of those old saws cutting wood in the fall. the 990 cuts jsut as fast as my buddies 029 stihl no matter what size bar it is running. i find great satisfation in using those old ones. by trade i am a machinist but i also work on the family farms when i am not in the shop. i use my saw mostly for cutting fire wood which is about 30 cord a year. and most of my homelites cut like hell and starts easier than my dad stihl. the only "modern" saw i would actually consider buying is the husky 372xp. i have ran one and i liked it. but i have owned 4 stihls and i sold or traded all of them and i will never touch another one again. i found that they were under powered ratteling saw. maybe it is the the stihls that i had or what but i will nto touch them again. but that is jsut me. i know some people swear by them. but i do not like them.

Back