monster saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
well, i was thinkin about gettin an 088 magnum there for a while. because i have been asked to do some rather large trees this year. the guys wanted 1600 for the saw with a 41" bar. now i went to a tree supply place today, and i think i fell in love. they had a husky, i believe it was the 3120xp. massive saw. guy tells me i can have it with a 48 or 72 inch bar, for about 1200 dollars. do any of you guys own the 3120xp, or the 088 mag. right now my big saw is an 066 magnum. i love it, however it would be nice to get something a bit bigger for when i do the big timbers.

I used one at Davey Tree a few years ago, they are AWESOME! I have always liked the Stihls for mid-size saws, but I have NEVER used a saw as strong and smooth as the 3120XP. Only used an 088 a few times, used a 066 for the last year I was working. If you get the 3120XP (and that price is a STEAL), be sure to get wheels with it! :laugh: :blob2:

It pulls a 4' bar easier than the 044 Stihl pulls a 27" bar, which is saying a LOT!

he said that it comes with a titanium bar. are they any good? also, about how much do you figure the powerhead along weighs? then how much would a 6' bar weigh, as well as a 4' one? he tells me that it comes standard with a 24" but that looks way too big to use for any long periods of time. however, with a 24 inch bar, any log that small will be toast. with a powerhead that size. thing looked like its a good 20 - 25 lbs easy. all i saw it with was the powerhead and the 24 inch bar

The 3120XP is an awesome saw. The powerhead alone weighs about 23 lbs. I've got a 36" bar which probably adds about 5 or 6 lbs. Its a beast, but it will cut anything. I don't know if they've redesigned the muffler yet, but if you get one make sure the exhaust is not blowing onto the chain brake handle. It will melt it. There is a small flap of metal on the muffler that needs to be bent flat. I've seen this on 2 saws I used. For the price, its a great saw. I paid $1160 about 3 years ago.

This is NOT a saw you want to use for extended periods, it will wear you out! How big of jobs do you do? Are you constantly bidding and getting HUGE removals? If you are, get the saw with a 3'-4' bar and use it for your stump cut and dicing up the fattest part of the trunk. Don't waste it on anything smaller than 30" diameter- use your 044 for that stuff. Besides, it takes forever to sharpen a 4' chain after it falls in the dirt because the saw is so heavy!

THETREEMAN82 I have a088 magnum and the thing is a beast.I use mine for logging and tree removel,as well as firewood cutting.I run up to a 48inch bar with 404 chain for logging and downing large trees.IF I switch to firewood I drop down to a 21 inch bar with 3/8 chain.This set up will cut ANYTHING in short order.With a 48 inch bar the 088 weigths 32lbs.I use it to block up tree jobs faster also.iF YOU have a replaceable nose on a .404 bar you can put a 3/8 nose on it and run lighter chain and get a faster cutting saw with less motor stress. IF you really are feeling the need for speed run an 8 rim rather than the stock 7.BUT be forewarned once you go to this point YOU CAN'T TURN BACK,IT IS A COMPLETE RUSH.tHE 3120 can also be set up to run 3/8 chain with great results.IT is a good saw also but i have not used one in afew years.I do know a place you can get an 088 for 1100, same place I got mine,it really depends what shade of orange you like. What part of the U.S. AREYOU FROM?iF your close to Indiana stop in and I'll set my 088 up a few differnt ways for you to try. :D Dan

Run a full skip chisle chain on the big bars, less motor stress. you could do this with your 066 and get better results from it. I do it with a 36in bar. (114 links, yeesh).

6' bar? Just how big are those trees where you are? If I were faced with cutting trees that needed 72" all the time, I'd move!:D

Timmins Ontario, a wee bit north of here, as trees that average 9" at breast height. Excellent profit:volume:time:effort:risk ratios.

Back