Montgomery ward gas log splitter Model 89-243-72-R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can measure very accurately I'd have a look at what McMaster Carr offers in hydraulic seals and o rings.
Probably nothing all that special about the cylinder.
Good Luck.

Should be a hydraulic repair shop somewhere near you, usually disguised as machine shops with "engineering" in the name, or xxxx hydraulics etc

You can measure and order the parts, but usually I get my cylinders back within 48 hours and they normally guarantee them for awhile, though most of my stuff is very abused when I get em so a lot of the rods are bent, and the tubes are gouged... A wood splitter should not have those sorts of problems lol. That said, I pretty much just ignore em and say repack as is... so far I haven't had an issue with any that haven't been guaranteed, and the only issue with one that was rebuilt is because I broke it.

If you do decide to repack yourself, soak the big internal seals in very hot water (not boiling) so they soften up and become a little easier to install... still not what I would call easy, but certainly easier, remember to let them cool off completely and pre lube before reassembling rod and cylinder. And you will need a very big wrench and a very fat man to break the rod nut free, gland end should come fairly easy, just check for a set screw before attempting.

okay will do. I do small engine repair . This will be my first Hydraulic cylinder to rebuild. I've had this log splitter for about 5yrs. I changed out the BS engine to Honda for easier starting.

a blunt pick, and some patience...

a good 3/4 or 1" impact driver helps too.

take note of how things come apart, there's often times teflon spacers on some of the O-rings not to mention the weird square shaped seals and wear rings can all more less fit in any of the grooves, not always... but often enough to screw a guy up

The advice on warming the rod seal is spot on. There is a small tool that can bend them...different sizes for different diameters.
If push comes to shove Bailey Sales has replacements and lots of fabricator parts.
FYI....I used McMaster for all my varied needs. They are a really well run company, have great fill rates, and I could place an order at 4pm and get it the next morning at standard UPS rates. My local distributor was in Atlanta and delivered to Palm Beach area. Catalog is great reading and very educational.
If all companies were run like this one the world would spin faster.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUZ7KHI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_ULr5FbF23MA9Z

Back