Morbark 2070 jerky when warmed up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonstark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 2004 morbark 2070 with 900 hours on a Kohler engine that chips fine but the feed roller has started to run in short turns when warmed up. It'll run smoothly then starts to go 1/8 of a revolution and hesitate, 1/8, hesitate...
The hydraulic tank is half full but it acts as though there's air. Can't imagine how that could be tho.

Suggestions as to where to look for a fault?

Thx,
Jon

Jon,

Your hydraulic tank should be 3/4 full. There shouldn't be any air in the system as the hydraulic cap is vented to let air out. I believe that has a belt driven hydraulic pump. I would check the belt tension on the hydraulic pump. You may also have a feed roller motor that's gone out. You can call Morbark at 1-800-255-8839 and ask for service and they can help you. Make sure you have your machine serial number before calling.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Thanks Dave.
Should have noted that the nano-second long hesitations happen whether loaded or not. The feed still pulls plenty powerfully with the momentary lapses. Sort of as though the auto-feed were sensing a slowdown for just a blip.
The hydraulic pump is on the same shaft as the drum btw.

Did some troubleshooting today...
After about ten minutes of smooth intake the feed roller started to act up. The switch for autofeed has the knob broken off so I disconnected a wire on the hydraulic autofeed solenoid. The feed now works steadily in manual as it should.
I’ll change out the broken switch and examine the wiring for faults next. Don’t want to throw an expensive solenoid at it yet.

Jon

Turned out to be a ground connection that was frayed down to just a couple strands. Replaced the ring connector and we’re back to the races.

Jon
Welcome to the site Jon.
Thanks for sharing your fix. I see so many times a guy will pop into a forum with a problem and get much help, then he never returns to say thanks, or even to let others know what happened. I've searched hundreds of times on forums and ran into this so I appreciate it even though I may never own this particular machine,
Brett

Latest posts

Back