More confused than ever... MS362 , MS441 or MS461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But on another note nobody so far recommended the 362 so i guess we are down to 2 ;) making progress thank guys!
The 362 is one of the best do all saws there is with a 20 inch bar , light enough to do small work and powerful enough to to bigger stuff. In my opinion it’s the best firewood saw you can buy in my area.

Personally what are you cutting that needs a 70cc saw? I bucked a 30”+ maple today with my WWS MS361 with a 20” bar. My stock non-M MS362 could have the job. 18” and less North American wood should be no problem for a 60cc saw. Just keep a sharp chain.

Is your dealer just trying to move a MS441 that will soon be even harder to move? Ron

why not an extra 75$ and go Straight at the MS461, same weight more power.
Ahhh ! You're young. If you're physically fit go for the 461 or 462. I wanted one but couldn't afford to go that extra $$ at the time. I'm 74 years old, and own the MS362. It's okay with a 25" bar, but I'd rather run the MS462 with that bar.

another lop2.jpg
more like this.jpg

I like hp and torque as well as the next guy. I put the maple on the ground with an old muscle saw - a freshly rebuilt SP125C. But when it comes to making firewood I grab the lightest saw that will do the job. Cutting under 18” wood with today’s Stihl lineup, I would take the MS362 and pocket the change (or use it to buy a grinder). If the OP can wait he should consider the MS462. I expect that to be my next purchase and will likely part ways with my three 60cc class Stihls if the 462 is actually as light as they claim.

Ron

Agreed. I like HP also. I have a ported 395 and have owned a ported 660 as well. But, if I was using either one for limbing I would wish I had less HP.

Firewood is easy though. I like a 16" bar for everything under about 18" diameter and a 20" bar for just about everything else. I like saws, so I'll bring a few to the log stack, but if I had to pick one saw for firewood it'd be a 60cc. Ported...

Correct, buy a 562xp to cut faster.

Many variables when comparing saws, but a year or so ago a fellow and I bucked logs held by a skid steer through several tanks - each of us on opposite ends. He had a new 562xp and I had my WWS MS361. The stock 562XP was strong and I was impressed. He recently sold it as something wasn’t to his long term liking. Not sure if it was the saw or the dealer. I’ll try to remember to ask. At least the day we were cutting, I would have told anyone to seriously consider one. May still depending upon what I learn.

Ron

We just bought an OWB and are currently cutting hardwood 12-16" log to throw in there... I had a MS251 which obviously wasn't enough so I ended up buying a used MS290 from a neighbor... What A POS... this thing hasn't got much more power and needless to say am not impressed (Maybe thinking about doing the muffler mod...)

So I ended up reading a little bit an was about to buy the MS362 which seem to be a good choice (Power vs Weight), My Stihl dealer recommended for this kind of work minimum 70CC saw, (Where the MS441 came on topic...) so after looking on Stihl website, if am about to throw 1200$ for a saw... why not an extra 75$ and go Straight at the MS461, same weight more power.

Any recommendation I could definitely use, am kind of a newbie at this wood cutting game and would like to make my life easier... I thought about a buzzsaw in the back of the tractor on the pto but seem like I would need to built a rig to get the log on the saw table , so that idea went thru the door at this point...
I think the MS 362 will do all you need it to do, if you are thinking about the 441 it flat out cuts, but I would spring for the 461 if you are going big

i tried one of my neighbor husky 70cc dont like the feel of it, start up was weird compare to the stihl and talking about a dull chain that thing couldnt cut more than 3 tree before going dull...
We all know a Husqvarna’s dull chains quicker than Stihls...... you should look into supplementing your OWB wood fuel with tires and waste oil as well..... remember green wood burns the longest....and you’ll be doing a good deed by fogging for mosquitos with your owb. Just trying to help.

I'm predominantly a Stihl guy, have been for many years, that being said, the size wood you're cutting. I'd buy a 562xp in a heartbeat if I had a good servicing dealer nearby. I have a lot of Stihls and Huskys both in the stable, but 99% of the time if I'm going to the woods to cut firewood, I take two saws, a 562xp and a 562xp.

We all know a Husqvarna’s dull chains quicker than Stihls...... you should look into supplementing your OWB wood fuel with tires and waste oil as well..... remember green wood burns the longest....and you’ll be doing a good deed by fogging for mosquitos with your owb. Just trying to

Mix it with coal since we are at it? No thanks...

461 is pretty rock solid, the first one my boss got lasted w/out a hickup for probably 50+ gallons before he straight gassed it for half a day. It probably ran 2-3 tanks of straight gas before it died. The 2 others have been flawless as well. 462 is more then likely gonna have to have the kinks worked out. Get the 461(new) while you still can. For just firewood use it will probably last you forever with proper cleaning and maintenance.

If price is an issue ($1200 is steap), look at the Echo line. I love my CS-490. I'm running a 20", 0.325" bar/chain on mine. @James Miller is running an 18" 3/8 LoPro bar/chain on his 490 and it rips.

I know Echo is not in the original list of choices, but it may be worth a look.

My opinion on the saws... 60cc, 70cc, 75cc... you're only going to cut firewood as long as you can hold the saw. If you can safely run a 75cc saw all day, get one. If not, get the lighter saw. True, no one ever complained about having too much power, but this is why many of us have multiple saws.
  • The work horse - something in the 45-65cc range. The saw that does most of the work. 16"-20" bar is common. This is the saw that can do 90%+ of what you need to do.
  • The limbing saw - 30-something CC. Light weight, short bar (12"-16"), perfect for trees or limbs 8" and smaller. It can't cut down the mightiest tree in the forest before lunch, but you can run it all day and not have jelly arms by mid afternoon.
  • The big saw - 70cc+, longer bar, usually only grabbed when more bar is needed. (unless you're "that guy" who puts a 14" bar on an MS660)
That said, I vote for the 60cc saw no matter the brand.

On the stihl choice, i tried one of my neighbor husky 70cc dont like the feel of it, start up was weird compare to the stihl and talking about a dull chain that thing couldnt cut more than 3 tree before going dull...
Which 70cc Husky? I’ve had a couple of 365s(2165), a 272xp, several 372s & 2171s, and a 2172, and they were all pretty awesome.

Some people don’t like the ergonomics, but they don’t bother me... Makita/Dolmar has the best ergonomics, in my opinion, and they have good AV, and the price is about 25% less than a comparable sized Stihl. (There’s a Makita 7900 on eBay right now for $919, with the full wrap and large spikes)!

Rarely do people wish they had less HP.
I find myself wishing the opposite quite often... usually when running a 60cc saw!

I’d rather have a saw that’s a little too big than one that’s a little too small. For a one saw plan, 70cc makes the most sense to me.... but I’m not a wuss.

Latest posts

Back