More Husky help??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I see a few of you are sold on the Husky 55 over most everything else in 50-55 cc class (Husky brand only). I've recently posted with questions on the 351, as I think this may be my next saw. I keep asking myself if I should just buy a little bigger, that way I won't want more saw. I also am considering a 357XP, but don't know if I can justify the extra cash. There are lots of posts on the 357 and I'm sure its awesome. Husky makes a 359, also new in 2001. I havent't seen a post anywhere on this model. Does anyone own or perhaps may have used one and is this a good model choice between the 351 and 357XP? I am also looking for the lowest vibration saw and thats why I'm looking at the orange saws. I thought of the 346XP instead of the 351 as they are about the same $ but thought it to be mostly a limbing type saw, perhaps with not much low end torque. I want a saw that has a wide power band for all around use. I would just get a 55 if they would put that motor in the new chassis, but the 351 is as close as it comes. So how much better performance can I get from a 359 or 357XP over the 351 for all around use? I'm so confused, too many choices!!

There is nothing wrong with the 55 chassis, except it doesnt have the side chain tensioner and quick release top cover. If vibrations are a concern, the 55 is not exactly the smoothest saw out there. The 350 is tops, followed by the 351. The 372XP has excellent anti vib numbers, but is out of your $$$ range. I say get the 357XP and do not look back. However dont expect to be satisfied with the power, because that is impossible:D You will always want a little more. I dont nkow why anyone would not shell out a couple of bucks over the 359 and get the 357XP. The 357 will woop all over the 351. Outfit it with a 20" bar and be careful.

Hi Thumper, I have to agree with Huskyman in that you can never have too much power if the budget allows it. If the 357XP is in your range, buy it and be happy. If not, then why not go for the 350? Less money than the 351 with the same specs. Yes I know about the different crankcases, but is there an honest to God advantage to the magnesium case to justify the added cost? I`d stick with the 33 or 34LG chain on either of these saws. You might want to consider opening up your muffler when you get your saw, I have found that these mid range Huskies take very well to this mod. You will be very impressed with the gains. Take a look at the post "024 Muffler" to see what I did to a 345 muffler. You probably wouldn`t even need the tubes brazed on if you don`t braze. Let us know what you decide and how it works out. Russ

A little late, but I saw an almost-new Husky 51 on eBay about a week a ago. Buy It Now set at something like $150.

357xp

Hello, Yesterday I was sawing with 5 brand new Husqvarna's. 335xpt,346xp, 357xp, 372xp, and the 395xp. These are demo saws from a Husqvarna dealer, the owner buys a few new saws every year for this purpose. Anyway, myself and two buddies where falling a large Red Maple, 36" at the trunk, and it split off into to 20" poles a few feet up. Anyway, we trimmed and topped it with the 335xpt, and felled it with the 395xp, with ease. Once on the ground the 357xp w/ 16" bar and 73LG chain was the choice machine. Man is that thing smooth!! I was using the 372xp w/ 20" bar and 73LG chain. All three of us agreed that the 357xp w/ 16" bar would be our next purchase. It feels very close to the same power as the 372xp but lighter and more comfortable. I have used a 351, and it is very smooth, but I think it is limited by the .325" chain. I think when a .325" bar and chain is buried in the wood it cannot get the chips out fast enough and fights itself. Good saw for firewood and yard-duty. All of these Huqvarna saws performed great, but all have a different niche. I think you should go with the 357xp, once you use it it will justify the added cost!! Good Luck, Jonathan :blob2:

Hi Jonathan, I agree totaly about that 357XP and your findings.
Did you hear us Dennis? 357XP, 357XP!
Although mine is powertuned and I am running 3/8 chain with 16" bar I think this saw has no match pound for pound. I have the Sno Pro model which I really like. It can stump jump 8" hardwood stems with ease. My only complaint about the saw is that it doesnt have the outside sprocket. The sercret to the 357XP is in the oil outlet of the casing. A simple raised rubber insert assures that the oil gets only to the bar.
The 357XP is a very pro saw, so dont buy one unless you are commited to using it like a pro, ie, razor sharp chain.
Anyway, I am so liking my 357WXPG! They should have called it a 357 Magnum.
John

Back