Morning rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Robin you know where I came from and one couldn`t of had a worse start as far as education came from. Manual trades,yes, that is about all I got , no book work, only hands on experience. When I finally got to go to school I had a teacher much like yours, very prim and proper English lady, she tried her best with us back woods characters but there is only so much one can do for cases like us. Our upbringing would be looked upon as criminal by today's standards when a cuff to the back of the head or a boot to the seat of your pants was the let off easy method of control.
Yet,I still try to convey my thoughts and use the little bit of English language I picked up from grade school.

Yep...well...going to school on an island and being the only student for the most part of two years I got a good bit of attention...the good and the bad LOL!! But I was brought up in an adult setting and was expected to act accordingly.........I was 11 or 12 before stopped tipping my hat to every lady and still can't step through a door before opening it for a lady......this was all impressed on me by the people around me...and of course Mrs. Young.

Actually I have quite a number of friends our age that won't touch a computer and many have never had a cell phone. So I guess in the entire spectrum of things we're not completely backward...or left behind. LOL!!!

It goes with the territory. There are other forums that would not tolerate it or putting this thread in the chainsaw section. I notice you hide your profile.
I put it in the chainsaw section because that's where I read the post. What do you want to know about me that is not in my profile?

To vs. too is number two on my list.

The various forms of "They're, Their, and There" are obvious, but the one that gets me most on this site is "advice" vs "advise". In case you don't know the difference; when you ADVISE someone, they can either take, or disregard your ADVICE. The verb is ADVISE.

And then there is "sight" vs "site".

For those of you critical of how critical I am being, you are right, it's definitely a "1st world problem".

I'm not in high school anymore. There's no repetitive writing of stuff every day. I'm out in the real world installing furnaces, boilers, a/c's, and building houses. I don't do much writing anymore so I have lost a lot of the writing skills from high school. Might I add I almost didn't graduate because I was failing English. 10 years in construction makes you forget a few things.

If you look around the forum you will see I am capable of quality written posts when I got time. I’m to dumb to punctuate as I go so I gotta do it in my proof read lol. Sometimes I don’t have time to post let alone proof read.

Actually I have quite a number of friends our age that won't touch a computer and many have never had a cell phone. So I guess in the entire spectrum of things we're not completely backward...or left behind. LOL!!!

My parents' generation couldn't program a VCR; some had trouble using one. Fortunately, I started computers in 1983 with the old TI 99A and didn't miss that boat.

This may be a Maine specific butchering of the language but one that I cringe to hear is "He wanted to race so I nodded and stomped on the exxzillerator" LOL!!!

"Ya can't get theah from heah." I guess the race was exxzillerating for the driver. My rural grandmother used to say re-frij-e-ator.

When I was taking college prep English courses back in the Dark Ages, 1973, one of our required books was “Johnny Got His Gun.” The entire book was written with ZERO punctuation, spacing or capital letters. The hardest book I ever read but also one of the best. Quick synopsis, soldier was wounded by an artillery shell. He lost sight, speech, hearing and limbs. But his mind was still intact. 50 years later I still remember that book and it still gives me chills. A must read if you have lots of patience and time. Sorry for the hijack.

When I was taking college prep English courses back in the Dark Ages, 1973, one of our required books was “Johnny Got His Gun.” The entire book was written with ZERO punctuation, spacing or capital letters. The hardest book I ever read but also one of the best. Quick synopsis, soldier was wounded by an artillery shell. He lost sight, speech, hearing and limbs. But his mind was still intact. 50 years later I still remember that book and it still gives me chills. A must read if you have lots of patience and time. Sorry for the hijack.
I'll check that one out.
Last week I read Forrest Gump...much better than the movie,IMO.

The various forms of "They're, Their, and There" are obvious, but the one that gets me most on this site is "advice" vs "advise". In case you don't know the difference; when you ADVISE someone, they can either take, or disregard your ADVICE. The verb is ADVISE.

And then there is "sight" vs "site".

For those of you critical of how critical I am being, you are right, it's definitely a "1st world problem".

For me, it's affect / effect.

Someone can explain the difference and proper use of both to me, and within a week or so, I'm confused again. :confused:

I guess I need to thank my folks for highly encouraging me to get an education. I suppose I have about 20 years of either English classes or some sort of communications classes. Most do not bother to get a good education, sadly.

What grinds my gears:

Starting ANYTHING with "Seen.." This basically screams, "I'm a dropout!" For ****s sake, don't EVER do this, unless you know someone named "Seen."

Using "Ur" or "Imma" in anything other than a text to you cousin-wife.

What merely chaps my hide.

People who use insure when they should use ensure, and vice versa. Mostly a pet peeve. Some dictionaries are now conceding.

People who use affect when they should use effect, and vice versa. If I'm going to "effect" change, I might as well change something I can "affect." I know, nitpicking.
I benefited from a great high school teacher who was publications advisor and honors composition teacher. Required reading Elements of Style by Strunk and White. effect vs affect.; further vs farther; I hope vs hopefully.; nauseous vs nauseated; Flammable is not correct word, it's Inflammable... Many incorrectly believe inflammable means will not burn so gasoline tanker trucks are placarded as FLAMMABLE. Unless you drive such a truck and are, therefore, responsible for the safety of children ru. iI illiterate77h mm 056Kom0OKmow k ukulele 88l8088080, use inflammable.
29050a57651aa407b2895ebeb6fb9eb5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I benefited from a great high school teacher who was publications advisor and honors composition teacher. Required reading Elements of Style by Strunk and White. effect vs affect.; further vs farther; I hope vs hopefully.; nauseous vs nauseated; Flammable is not correct word, it's Inflammable... Many incorrectly believe inflammable means will not burn so gasoline tanker trucks are placarded as FLAMMABLE. Unless you drive such a truck and are, therefore, responsible for the safety of children and illiterites, use inflammable.
jpg

Now I have to remember my glasses!

Latest posts

Back