Moss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on how to get moss to spread in a yard?

Over the past 25 years, the conditions in my yard have changed considerably... from mostly sunny with few trees scattered about, to now being mostly shade.
No "lawn" to speak of, mostly weeds. The wild violets have been taking over in the shaded areas, but I've noticed more moss lately also.

I was doing a little research on moss for my new Venus flytrap plants, stuff to repot them in, and came across some amazing images.
A 6'x6' "carpet" will set you back about $750! :surprised3: $30 for a small tray.

Anyway, I dug some up and put over the pebbles I have in the trays I have my plants sitting in - and I want more! I wish I could get it to cover all the shaded areas of the yard.:)

Is there a way to encourage growth? Will it spread better if I kill the grass in the area? I haven't been able to find much on the internet about growing it. Hoping someone here might know.

... and no more mowing! :D

After the area has been ( slathered ) keep it wet until the moss " takes root ".
Also, in the fall use a leaf blower to remove the leaves.
Go easy with the leaf blower it is quite easy to blow the moss up.

It is my understanding that moss likes high acid soil.

David

A friend of mine is a landscape architect. He uses a method that involves taking lots of plain yogurt and mixing in a small amount of whatever breed of moss you like into a blender. Take the concoction and apply to any surface with a paintbrush.

Fwiw, that picture above is awesome. Our property is mostly wooded, old growth trees. When we tackle our patio next year, I may incorporate some of this style. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! That's funny. First time I've ever encountered somebody that wants or is encouraging moss growth! I worked so hard this year to rid the moss from my yard that it probably took a year off my
life. Spreading killer, thatching, raking, repeat, re-seeding, fertilizing....my whole yard was moss. It's so damp and shady up here...just grows everywhere!

Ha! That's funny. First time I've ever encountered somebody that wants or is encouraging moss growth! I worked so hard this year to rid the moss from my yard that it probably took a year off my
life. Spreading killer, thatching, raking, repeat, re-seeding, fertilizing....my whole yard was moss. It's so damp and shady up here...just grows everywhere!
So... why not enjoy what you have? :popcorn2:

Btw, you destroyed a gold mine in your yard... a 6' x 6' "carpet" of moss can set you back over $750. ;)

Latest posts

Back