Most badass 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have friends you nothing about :surprised3::lol:.
Heres a buddy of mine who helps me out now and then. Not that I've ever needed anything like this for the work I've done, but its nice to know it/he's there if I call :).
Besides if he/others weren't I'd add half the price of it to the cost of the job and go buy one if I had to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-31-12-23-36.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-31-12-23-36.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
A 8’ bar? saw? 3120? 395? For trimming thick bushes? What a front door opener. I’d love to see their faces when this bar comes through the front door. It’s a quick entry and quick exit at the same time. Great skit for SNL.? Lmao

A 8’ bar? saw? 3120? 395? For trimming thick bushes? What a front door opener. I’d love to see their faces when this bar comes through the front door. It’s a quick entry and quick exit at the same time. Great skit for SNL.? Lmao
They are short. My guess is 6 ft bar and if it's not on a 3120, they have the wrong saw. Too much saw for around here, or for me.

As far as 50cc saws go, My experiences have been that a ported Jonny 2051 and Partner 5000+/Jonny 490/Poulan 325 are the hottest 50cc saws. Following that I'd say a ported 346. As far as stock firewood use saws, I tend to like the torque of the Stihl 026 and 028 super, also the chunky 5100. Admittedly I have no 261 or 550 experience though.

Unless you just want one, I'm not sure I would buy a saw between 40cc and 60cc. Your 362 will out power even the best 50cc saw, and all 50cc saws will be heavier than your 243. That said, I have 3 50cc Makita's.

They are short. My guess is 6 ft bar and if it's not on a 3120, they have the wrong saw. Too much saw for around here, or for me.
Not really, he's taller than me, he's around 6'. I think it is a 6' bar, not sure if it's one of his 395's or a 3120.
I agree, It looks like a 395 with 72" bar. A ported one should pull it, but I dunno about oiling it.
He has ported 3120's and 395's, also has auxiliary oilers.
It's pretty much like me walking through the door with a pole saw lol.

I have an 8 foot bar on an 090g and the look on folks faces when they see it is a mix of disbelief and uncomfortableness. Folks generally want to leave when they see it, but a few get really interested and allow the intimidation factor to melt away. As I get older I can tell you it ain't no fun, no more, to carry, or even pick up.

I have an 8 foot bar on an 090g and the look on folks faces when they see it is a mix of disbelief and uncomfortableness. Folks generally want to leave when they see it, but a few get really interested and allow the intimidation factor to melt away. As I get older I can tell you it ain't no fun, no more, to carry, or even pick up.
Must me a real treat to sharpen that chain! :crazy2:

Just rebuilt a 550xp, NGK plug, bearings, seal,gaskets,p/c all oem and updated firmware, put 2 tankfuls through it, must say it's a nice cutting light saw. Never really cared for 346's and have owned several, never ported, that being said I do like that 550, fast to rev, light, pulls strong in the cut for a small saw. Grabbed my 562 ported saw for comparison, I do like that saw and could feel noticeable weight difference, but 562 has a Cannon bar on it. 550 is not mark II and maybe someone will both and comment @chipper1. He may have changed my mind, I could live with a 550 and 572 for a two saw plan.

Just rebuilt a 550xp, NGK plug, bearings, seal,gaskets,p/c all oem and updated firmware, put 2 tankfuls through it, must say it's a nice cutting light saw. Never really cared for 346's and have owned several, never ported, that being said I do like that 550, fast to rev, light, pulls strong in the cut for a small saw. Grabbed my 562 ported saw for comparison, I do like that saw and could feel noticeable weight difference, but 562 has a Cannon bar on it. 550 is not mark II and maybe someone will both and comment @chipper1. He may have changed my mind, I could live with a 550 and 572 for a two saw plan.
When many of the stihl guys say it handles better...
Just saw this ad, so all the power on paper(and even after Scott got in there) and it being lighter on a scale must not be all there is to it ;).
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-ms261c-tree-monkey.334234/#post-6956975
Those cannons really are like a cannon, heavy, but they last forever.
Did you do a muffler mod on it, lots of gains right there, but they get loud if you get crazy with it.
As for my 550 NE(I'm not doing the mark II thing much longer, it's as bad as the vs II for the 261c ne lol) it's still n the box it came to me in, I "saw" it last night. From all the reports I've heard guys like them, but we all know how that goes. When I bought my first 261c ne I thought I'd be selling all my husky 50cc saws, I think I probably have more now than before :laugh:.
Now this two saw plan you're talking about, I never promoted such a thing :surprised3:.

Now this two saw plan you're talking about, I never promoted such a thing :surprised3:.
I'm waffling between two for the middle of a three saw plan. For the "lineup".

Then there has to be a loaner. And a GTG saw or two. Plus it would be nice to mill. That's on top of the stuff I re-build and have to run. I could honestly keep myself in firewood just with the shakedown runs on those.

When many of the stihl guys say it handles better...
Just saw this ad, so all the power on paper(and even after Scott got in there) and it being lighter on a scale must not be all there is to it ;).
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-ms261c-tree-monkey.334234/#post-6956975
Those cannons really are like a cannon, heavy, but they last forever.
Did you do a muffler mod on it, lots of gains right there, but they get loud if you get crazy with it.
As for my 550 NE(I'm not doing the mark II thing much longer, it's as bad as the vs II for the 261c ne lol) it's still n the box it came to me in, I "saw" it last night. From all the reports I've heard guys like them, but we all know how that goes. When I bought my first 261c ne I thought I'd be selling all my husky 50cc saws, I think I probably have more now than before :laugh:.
Saw is stock with no muffler mod. right now.

I have a 154SG, the saw is fun, strong, solid, but the filter clogs up and the AV isn’t great. It’s such a classic I don’t use it much.

The 254XP I have improved the filtering with air injection and it feels stronger than the 154 by a fuzz, but the AV is still not great when using it for lots of work.

My 353G conversion to 346XPG isn’t quite as strong, but has much better AV and the filtering is great, it’s light and nimble, has a side chain tensioner, it’s super reliable and I plan to keep it for years. I upgraded it to a 359 intake track and filter and did a muff mod and some mild port work to it, but still not my favorite. Simply because I don’t think the fuel economy is as good as my other 50cc saw...

My 550XP is even lighter, has better AV, lasts longer on a tank of gas, and has super fast spool up for limbing (turbo boost). Even though I worry that I can’t fix auto tune issues if they appear, and that as a “controlled air leak” saw its slowly burning itself up faster than any other saw, it’s my current favorite.

Now, the Mark II, I’m not crying for one because I don’t have any problems with my saw. But it might just be the new king of the hill. I’m happy with what I got though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simply because I don’t think the fuel economy is as good as my other 50cc saw...
But it still gets way better fuel economy than the 1 or 2 series versions lol.
Now, the Mark II, I’m not crying for one because I don’t have any problems with my saw. But it might just be the new king of the hill. I’m happy with what I got though.
I've got one I still haven't ran yet, I'm hoping it performs like a modern version of the 254. The 254 is one of my favorite saws to run in the 2 series, but I can get more done with a 346 with the fuel efficiency and the 550 is even better as you said. Also with the flippy caps and the captured bar nuts as well as the return to run on the master switch I find the best saw for getting things done quick stock for stock is the 550. But I still like the 353's/346's and their red cousins for firewooding, they're fun saws.

Back