Most popular little Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really since the only husky smaller saws I’ve run is the ‘70’s all metal pro husky 240sg and my new 353 that’s not broken in yet. Haven’t run my 346’s or 350’s. I been eyeing a new husky 543xp. For the collection. Probably my last brand new husky saw.
If you have a 346 there would be zero reason to get a 543. Run it and any questions you have left will be gone.

Since we are all applauding the 353 and the 350, I have one question. My 353 takes awhile to warmup when started cold. I simply wait about 15 to 20 seconds at fast idle. After that, it runs perfectly, but before that, it bogs. Is that normal? If not, what's causing it? Carb adjustments don't seem to mean anything and the fuel filter and line are all new. And, BTW, this saw gets the best fuel economy of any saw that I have ever owned.

The 543xp isn’t a true XP. It’s a Redmax.

My co worker down in NC went to purchase a new chainsaw and only had a Stihl dealer closeby. The dealer said that only a few saws are manufactured by Husqvarna. The rest are manufactured by three other companies. He ended up buying a new Stihl. How do we know what we’re buying? Who made it? Are they under supervision from Husqvarna. This is why I like the older metal saws like the professional 240SE/SG, the 44’s.

My co worker down in NC went to purchase a new chainsaw and only had a Stihl dealer closeby. The dealer said that only a few saws are manufactured by Husqvarna. The rest are manufactured by three other companies. He ended up buying a new Stihl. How do we know what we’re buying? Who made it? Are they under supervision from Husqvarna. This is why I like the older metal saws like the professional 240SE/SG, the 44’s.
Not true. Only the three smallest saws are made by other manufacturers, which Husqvarna owns. The rest are made in Sweden by Husqvarna.

Since we are all applauding the 353 and the 350, I have one question. My 353 takes awhile to warmup when started cold. I simply wait about 15 to 20 seconds at fast idle. After that, it runs perfectly, but before that, it bogs. Is that normal? If not, what's causing it? Carb adjustments don't seem to mean anything and the fuel filter and line are all new. And, BTW, this saw gets the best fuel economy of any saw that I have ever owned.
I have a couple 346s' like that, it's normal for some saws. I don't let em run on fast idle that long, but do let em idle for 15-20 seconds when cold. It's not a problem.

Have a 350 that I put a flat top piston in and deleted the base gasket for a guy. Had it fixed since Thanksgiving and still cant get in touch with him to come get it. Its fairly impressive for a little guy. I'm gonna try to call him a couple more times, then it'll be added to the work detail. They all earn their keep here.
This is also why I dont work on saws for the public anymore.

I have a couple 346s' like that, it's normal for some saws. I don't let em run on fast idle that long, but do let em idle for 15-20 seconds when cold. It's not a problem.
Thank you, Sunfish, for the re-assurance. Yesterday when the temp was single-digits, I cut a truckload of Bradford pear wood and the saw performed very well. I filled the truck and it never ran out of fuel. No other saw that I own can do that except for perhaps my 350 that I save for backup. I run an 18" bar on both and always start with a sharp chain. These are my "go-to" smaller saws, no doubt about it. :)

I wonder if the carbs make a difference. I've mostly had and built non primer saws with HDA-159s. I just tore apart the first OE I've seen with a Zama. I bet it was swapped in at some point since usually I only see later saws with EL-18s. I still haven't quite decided if I'll OE or NE it but I got a kit for the Zama and I'll use it and see if it behaves differently.

If you include cost a 350 is hard to beat with the metal intake clamp and the muffler studs torqued when hot. A 346 has a little better chain speed and trigger response, but not worth the 2 1/2 times the cost over a 350. Husqvarna really had a nice saw with the 350 if they would have OEM installed the metal intake clamp and secured the muffler better. THe 435, 440, 445, 450, 455, 460 family is a POS compared to them.
I have a customers 435 on my bench, the temptation to put it on my splitting block and use my fiskars on it is real.....

I wonder if the carbs make a difference. I've mostly had and built non primer saws with HDA-159s. I just tore apart the first OE I've seen with a Zama. I bet it was swapped in at some point since usually I only see later saws with EL-18s. I still haven't quite decided if I'll OE or NE it but I got a kit for the Zama and I'll use it and see if it behaves differently.
I'm running Walbro HDA199 (357/359) carbs on all but one 346xp. I like the extra zip. I have one ported NE with original Zama carb & bulb and it's not missed a beat in 9 years.

Just converted a 345 to a 350.metal intake clamped,AM bearings and seals, 1/4 inch bolts tapped for the exhaust (previous owner partially threaded them without a tap and burned a hole completely through the case).I cheaply reused the dished 350 cylinder,piston and ring because they looked so good.What can I say,it was a 30 dollar donor saw.LOL Started right up.Will get on her hard in the morning.

Whatca talking about Willis?

I’m looking for info. It seems that clamshell saws are very popular over the metal crankcase saws?

I think that Steve is Right, it isn't that the plastic clamshells are More Popular, they are just much more affordable, and for many people, the clamshells will hold up for many, many years of homeowner use, and they just can't Justify the Expense of the Metal cased saws

Given the choice, cost being NOT considered, the vast majority would pick the metal cased saws

Doug :cheers:

I get it, I have a new 353 not broken in yet, with two 346 xp’s sitting here. I have most of the bigger cc saws in the line up. I never played with the smaller cc saws too much. The all metal 70’s professional 240sg I had was a tree killer for its size. But the 266se / 2100 cut the big stuff. Luckily I had all pro saws and went into business. With the advise from a co worker I bought all huskys,

How come no one is building the early all metal husky rancher saws?

I see the prices going skyward lately. Do you think the older saws will reach a bigger demand over the new saws?

I think that Steve is Right, it isn't that the plastic clamshells are More Popular, they are just much more affordable, and for many people, the clamshells will hold up for many, many years of homeowner use, and they just can't Justify the Expense of the Metal cased saws

Given the choice, cost being NOT considered, the vast majority would pick the metal cased saws

Doug :cheers:

My new husky 353 saw wasn’t cheap I understand that.

How come no one is building the early all metal husky rancher saws?
How early? White top saws are in high demand if they turn up in good shape. The newer 55/55 Rancher saws have quite a following and the closed port versions bring a premium.
Do you think the older saws will reach a bigger demand over the new saws?
Not as a whole but minty examples of certain models such as 346, 357, and 262's will continue to surge in value.

Back