Most profit in a day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local guy with a huge truck crane did 9k earlier this year on a water front oak with no access. He was the only tree guy around that had enough reach to pick it. And even then they had to bomb some of the backside leads into the water and drag them to shore to pick them. Took like 10 hours. This is in northeast Ohio, so not exactly setting the bar for tree prices around here.

Local guy with a huge truck crane did 9k earlier this year on a water front oak with no access. He was the only tree guy around that had enough reach to pick it. And even then they had to bomb some of the backside leads into the water and drag them to shore to pick them. Took like 10 hours. This is in northeast Ohio, so not exactly setting the bar for tree prices around here.
Money seems to be no object for some, whatsoever.

I was getting some steel for a project of my own and speaking with the guy that owns the welding shop. He told me he had to make brackets to hold up a tree that was being transported to a property and had no place for tie downs or wire bracing, had to be steel stanchions because it was all beach sand. The property owner had zero access to his property from the street and hired a barge with a crane to set a 30' pine tree on the property on the water side. Stanchions - $3500, tree/soil/installers - $4000, barge with crane - $28K!!!!! Add permitting and other details and this guy was into a TREE for 40K.

a fool and his money .....

Money seems to be no object for some, whatsoever.

I was getting some steel for a project of my own and speaking with the guy that owns the welding shop. He told me he had to make brackets to hold up a tree that was being transported to a property and had no place for tie downs or wire bracing, had to be steel stanchions because it was all beach sand. The property owner had zero access to his property from the street and hired a barge with a crane to set a 30' pine tree on the property on the water side. Stanchions - $3500, tree/soil/installers - $4000, barge with crane - $28K!!!!! Add permitting and other details and this guy was into a TREE for 40K.

a fool and his money .....

I’d walk away from that job.

I’d walk away from that job.
I'd be scared too but I'll bet everyone required the owner paid up front considering no guarantee on the tree living.

Some of the people have no limit on what they spend. I've tried to raise my regular pricing if I don't want a job (too much hassle, no way to get to it fast enough etc.) but they say "ok, when can you start?"

The down side of it is when you do get someone to say no based on what they think is a high price and they tell everyone on social media you tried to screw them.

Think difference is your talking logging crew and he is tree service. Friend that owns a tree removal service, removes tree clean up and stump grinding is crazy busy this year, giving prices for tree removal high prices, hoping they will pass and they reply, when can you do it? He has been doing it for over 35 years and cannot believe how services give a bid and then never show up, has seen it before, but getting worse.

me and a super ground guy who has been with me for over 10 years, I can pocket 1500 to 2000 an 8-hour day. 2400-3000 is not rare and feels great! 100% climbing, 12" or 6" bandit chipper and 60 hp stumper. don't remember when it was last time I used my bucket truck.

Think difference is your talking logging crew and he is tree service. Friend that owns a tree removal service, removes tree clean up and stump grinding is crazy busy this year, giving prices for tree removal high prices, hoping they will pass and they reply, when can you do it? He has been doing it for over 35 years and cannot believe how services give a bid and then never show up, has seen it before, but getting worse.
We're a tree service.

I think this topic is usually posted by a narrow minded thinking poster that thinks we are all in the same boat. That's ok, but we are all different and in different economic regions and the difference in services we provide, so responses are gonna reflect our business and not to be compared across the board. I do like to read the posts, it proves what I said. For example, how many of you have 18 climbers, 15 ground guys, 10 bucket trucks, 6 stump grinders, 12 chip trucks, loaders, skid steers, etc,,,and do not do residential,,,,?, So we are all different. So that is why I would not post an answer to "Most profit in a day", . If I did it would not fit in with the majority of the question and answers it was directed at,, and you would not believe me,, :cheers:, But on the other hand,, It was a beautiful Day!
Jeff, :)

Talking money is always a bs topic. I average $1200 a day after labor, comp, fuel and insurance. I pay about $3000-$10,000 a month in loans and expenses. So after its all said and done I do pretty well. I raise my prices annually and try to be competitive on the mid to upper level. I sometimes under bid stuff like norway spruce and large trims [emoji849]. And sometimes i feel a little guilty making $500 for grinding a stump in a half hour. It all comes out in the wash. What i am proud of is being the most safety oriented crew in town. Treating people and my employees the best. Being professional every step of the way. I am no question the best technical climber i have personally ever met. We are the crew to call for technical removals. Complex rigging and felling is our thing. Chasing money leaves me unsatisfied with my life. I prefer to enjoy my days and be proud. I still get excited to get new gear and go on estimates. Still get excited to climb or go in the bucket. Some days i like to lay in the grass for a few minutes and just enjoy the moment. I started my tree service with no money, no credit, no help. Just invested in myself and worked hard. So i would say i make a fortune every day [emoji3577]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a small operation, just by myself most days and call in some help from time to time when I need it. I plan on expanding and hiring full timers this upcoming year. I have a 115 hp Morbark and I do all the climbing and cutting. Best week I had this year was three and a half days, (Wednesday -Saturday) after a big storm, me and one worker cleared $7200 in 34 hours or something like that. All storm work and took down a few that were badly damaged. I own all my equipment right now so those 3.5 days I took $6000+ in profit. An average 8 hour day for me with one worker is about $1000-1500 gross.

One of these but with a bypass tree style grapple. This one is a 25’ body, mine will be 20’ with a one piece chip top that’s removable with the loader. Hopefully be here within a week or so. The MDS is almost excited. He’s tired though, this one kicked his ass.
View attachment 860236
View attachment 860234
View attachment 860235
I got the mini-me version of that. :) mostly for our own firewood use as we don't do tree service work but we do on-call work to haul away cleanup for tree service companies. $80/hr from the time I leave the driveway and back home. That's about all the market can bear here.

20201217_131444-sterling-firewood-truck-grapple-dump-box.jpg

Back