moth balls + gasoline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to the airport ask for 100LL (100 octane low lead, blue in color). You should not need more octane than that and it is also free of the crap (e.g. ethanol MBTE, etc...) they put in pump gas for cars (chaeper than auto racing gas too). By law airports also have to pump the tanks for water daily (carb icing at 10,000' is no fun....).

If 100 octane is no good search out the green AV gas (115LL), it's 115 octane.

There is a purple that is run in some military helicopters (130 octane...)

Howdy guys!

I work daily with aviation fuels... 100LL (blue) and 80 (red), and 80UL which I believe is also red, are the only aviation gasolines currently in production at this time. 100LL is very common... 80 is only available in certain areas of the country... fairly hard to find. Thanks to your friendly EPA, they are trying to phase out 100LL in favor of 80UL, but I don't believe that will happen anytime in the near future... but the minions ARE working on it. Straight 100 octane (green, which is not 115 octane and has nearly double the lead of 100LL) is no longer produced, nor is the purple 118/130, much to the dismay of the guys running the big radial engines. Neither one (100 or 118/130) have been produced for probably 15-20 years now, unless a refinery puts out a small batch every now and then, but it would be extremely expensive for them to do this, so the existence of any fresh 100 (green) or 118/130 (purple) is doubtful.

Just to stay correct, Carburetor icing is caused by the moisture in the air, not by water in the fuel, but, I know what you mean ;)

Also, guys, just an FYI, dispensing aviation gasoline into anything other than an aircraft for use in anything other than a human carrying aircraft is an EPA violation punishable by some pretty hefty fines ($25,000 per occurrence, or more, and that might be $25,000 per gallon per occurrence...don't remember exactly anymore, I just know we don't do it anymore, it's not worth the risk), so you guys that are getting 100LL from your local airports, I would advise that you remain tight-lipped about where you're getting it from, lest the wrong ears hear about it, and your source dry up overnight. My company will not fill cans for anyone anymore, period, because of this... we got the warning letter from the EPA probably 10 years ago. Thanks, EPA! :angry2: :rolleyes: :mad:

Nothing beats the smell of a well tuned engine running on 100LL :cheers:

My hate for the EPA, while already extremely great, grows almost daily. :mad:

Edit: I have no use for aviation gasoline, but this makes me want to try to get a gallon just purely out of spite.

My hate for the EPA, while already extremely great, grows almost daily. :mad:

Edit: I have no use for aviation gasoline, but this makes me want to try to get a gallon just purely out of spite.

Hell with the epa. Yep, 100ll and syn oil smells awesome in the woodlot!!:clap:

I have torn down a few saws that were run on 100ll and dino stihl oil. Clean as a whistle!!

Go to the airport ask for 100LL

I'm a noob here so this comment carries no weight but...

I teach auto shop and have been riding and building 2 strokes for quite a while (decades).

Av gas is the way to go. It is cleaner (particulates) than pump gas and cheaper than race gas. Lead it like vitimins for your engine it runs cooler and is lubricious. I have run tests in my CR500 and have (to my satisfaction) doccumented this.

I purchased a gallon of pump gas (yes I put it in a brand new container and the refill truck had not been to the station in the last 24 hours) and AV gas and put them in seperate glass beakers. There was noticable particulates (by eye using no magnification or straining) in the pump gas and none in the AV gas. AV gas also indicated no particulates after straining with a 1 micron filter.

I have tried 93 octane pump gas straight, with Octane boost, and 100LL in the bike under the same conditions at the Imperial Sand Dunes and used an overflow bottle to measure relative temperature of the engine. (not truly scientific but good for my satisfaction). I feel that this is the only place where you can put 500cc of power to work all the time, with consistancy. (That and it is as fun as he||!)

Under high speed conditions (4th & 5th gear WFO for sustained distances on the sand highway) there was a marginal but measurable difference with the 100LL keeping the bike the coolest. There was not much difference (slight but not much) in the pump gas with and without octane boost.

Under low speed conditions (second gear in deep sand lugging the engine) there was a tremendous difference. The bike overheated with the straight pump gas (yes my jetting is correct), over heating was determined by boiling coolant. The pump gas with octane boost also boiled but not as quickly and a brief spurt of speed (to get some air flowing over the radiator) cooled it off. The 100LL was the only fuel that enabled me to lug the bike slowly (like I was crawling with my youngest son while he was on his 3 wheeler) and not overheat.

I have also (non-scientifically) deduced from replacing dozens of pistons that the blue juice makes 'em last longer.

I figure that the lugging conditions with no air flow most closely matches a hotsaw setup.

Sad to hear what xlr82v2 said about the av gas going away. I agree with him though, nothing smells better in the sand! :cheers:

Klotz nitro

http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=85

I also just picked up a case of FPPF marine gas treatment primarily for the boat etc. I typically use 93 octane gas as it's mostly ethanol free.

http://www.fppf.com/marineformulagastreat.asp

Boosts Octane Up To 10 Points
FPPF Marine Formula Gas Treatment is the premium gasoline treatment available on the market today. This product is a complete formula for Marine and Off-Highway gasoline engines. Used as directed this product completely dissipates water, cleans fuel injectors and carburetors, prevents corrosion, stabilizes fuel, and raises fuel octane rating by up to 10 points.

Used regularly, Marine Formula Fuel Treatment can offer the following benefits:
Dissipates Water.
Raises Octane Rating by up to 10 Points.
Prevents Corrosion.
Cleans Tanks, Fuel Pumps, Injectors, and Carburetors.
Stabilizes Fuel.
Increase Power.
Increased MPG.
Use every time you fuel.

Don't know about using it for fuel, but mothballs in gasoline work well for gassing rattlesnake dens. :)

How is the BP-116 octane gas compare.

My friend races a dragster and she is bringing me a gallon to try.

Her car pushes 980HP!!!

if you cut it 50/50 or 25/75 reg could get you the rating you need for higher comp. might make for cheap 95 100 105

Back