Motorproblems on Stihl MS 250 C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penge58

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello guys

I have a motorproblem on my Stihl MS250 C
It starts but will not run on idle or when I try to speed up.
After the winter I sent my chain saw for service.
The service guy said that the saw would not run on idle and he had measured the compression and found a damaged cylinder that caused bad compression.
I took the saw back and replaced the engine myself following the instruction on a youtube video.
I also cleaned the carb. Took it apart and cleaned the carb house in an ultra sound washing machine.
I also replaced the fuel filter.
Then put it all back together again but the same problem is still there. It starts but dies quickly on idle or if I try to speed up.
I then set the carb adjustment back to factory settings but that did not help.

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Petter

Thank you Harley
I will check it.
What does the impulse line actually do ? How dows it work ? It goes from the motorblock into a yellow nipple ?

Impulse hose feeds the carburator to keep idle. It's rather simple to replace it on the ms250, granted you have some good pliars.

We need pictures! :)

Also, which carburator model is on your saw? zama or walbro?

I had a ms250, rescently, with a zama carb, that would die instantly when given gas, simple fix was adjusting the needle setting inside the carburator.

Hello Harley

I have been busy with other stuff so I haven't been able to reply to you.
And I strange enough did not get any notice about your new posting so thank you for all your postings.
My carb is a ZAMA type.
I have disassemblied the saw again now to check the impulse line. I wanted to ask were the nipple for the line was but then you already showed me that :)
Great. I will check if its connect correctly.
But this is a "blind" nipple ? Does not go anywere ? So how is this working ? Anyway. I will check it.

No I did not replace any parts. I used the old parts.
However I have ordered a new carb and installation kit through ebay but there was some delivery time.
The H and L needle is set according to fabric settings even I used the old carb.
I have seen on you tube were they demonstrate the H and L settings and those chain saws are running even if the needels are in either end of the turn.

You mention hemostat.
What is that ?

Petter
Norway

Impulse hose goes to impulse nibble that leads to the carburator, and matches the carburators impulse "inlet".

Pliars, hemostat,
I use these...dirt cheap from ebay.

Attachments

• DSC_2466.JPG
    DSC_2466.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
Impulse line feeds pulses in air pressure to the pump side of the carb to act as a pump to draw fuel in.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Yes the impulse line was connected to the nipple and I see how that nipple is working now.
Maybe the nipple itself need to be cleaned. Compressed air ?
The hose might have slipped off the connection to the motor block though. No guarantee for that.
The only part i see that I maybe should be replaced is the one shown on the picture here.
However I cannot see how that gives any leakage to the carburettor.
What do you think ?

Attachments

• 20200622_154659.jpg
    20200622_154659.jpg
    780.3 KB · Views: 8
Yes the impulse line was connected to the nipple and I see how that nipple is working now.
Maybe the nipple itself need to be cleaned. Compressed air ?
The hose might have slipped off the connection to the motor block though. No guarantee for that.
The only part i see that I maybe should be replaced is the one shown on the picture here.
However I cannot see how that gives any leakage to the carburettor.
What do you think ?

Yeah, gaskets are cheap and should be replaced looking like that.

I had a MS250 once, did all the works on it, would not idle, or only idle insanely high rpm when turning the L screw.
Ended up cleaning the carb a few times, and finally, apperently did it correct on the last attempt, I am pretty sure it was the impulse opening on the carburator that had microscopic dirt on it . Carbs are sensitive, like women I guess. :crazy:

Norway.... Im in Denmark here.

How far up Are you?
I have a spare one right here :dumb:

Attachments

• DSC_2470.JPG
    DSC_2470.JPG
    846.9 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, gaskets are cheap and should be replaced looking like that.

I had a MS250 once, did all the works on it, would not idle, or only idle insanely high rpm when turning the L screw.
Ended up cleaning the carb a few times, and finally, apperently did it correct on the last attempt, I am pretty sure it was the impulse opening on the carburator that had microscopic dirt on it . Carbs are sensitive, like women I guess. :crazy:

I will get a new gasket tomorrow.
The Stihl dealer and service centre is just 5 minutes walk from here :)
I will clean the nipple and carb carefully with compressed air and go through all the hoses.

I will let you know how that goes.

Thank you so far :)

Petter

Ahhh....I forgot about that ferry.
No....I live in Sandefjord which is the closest town to Larvik were the Color Line Super Speed goes from

Back