Moving to a pallet based wood storage system?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No rear steer. just front steer. Clumsy as hell.

Having lots of problems with it right now doesn't seem to want to run at all, leaking bad from the steering box. Hopefully I can get a handle on it soon because I rely on it...

Steering box. Yuck. We had to get a steering box resealed last year, on a tractor. Getting that box in & out was a nightmare, was stuffed in between the engine & cab. Lots of skinned knuckles in that job but we managed to avoid pulling the cab. Once we got it out, we took it to the local tractor place and they put the kit in.

I use an 856 International to move around some pallets I've made for wood. I use forks on the 3pt, handles plenty of weight but I'd like to have forks for the front loader, little higher when cutting logs that way.

I wish I could find IBC totes for $20. Around here the 275 gallon ones routinely fetch $100-$125. To get enough to do my yearly supply would cost over $2,000. Just does not make financial sense. I built a woodshed instead that holds 6 full cords and it cost me approx. $600. The other issue with pallets as mentioned is the machine moving them has to be large and can rut up the lawn fairly easily. You can tow a trailer that holds 1/3rd-1/2 of a cord with a much smaller machine with wide turf tires, and leave no ruts. More handling, but cheaper and less damage to worry about.

I would have used pallets, but I don't have "pallet forks" proper, I have a round bale forks that are supposed to go on a tractor 3 pt that uses 3x4 square tubing for forks. Its rigged up to go in my loader bucket with a pin only in the top link.

The concrete forms are 24" wide and I like my wood 20-30" which stacks great on the concrete forms. It's really cool to see what works for everyone else.

Today I was splitting off the tailgate of the truck and stacking right on an empty wood rack. It felt great to save that much work handling, a heaping short bed truck load almost fits on one wood rack for me. I'll be able to place the rack and move the rack with the loader and save 3-4 handling steps!!!

Here is what did. Hold about 1/4 cord per rack.IMG_20190828_115043564.jpg IMG_20190828_123802631.jpg IMG_20190520_102616372.jpgI strap some plywood on front and back so I get no spills, very rough ground.I have 12 of them made so far, picked up most of the wood from work.I am also trying the bags but have not looked in them all summer.

Made some of these out of scrap 6" .25" c channel the other day. 6x4ft. Hold .25 cord. Have 4 that size for customer pick up and I made 2 8x6 feet ones for the shop.

20190916_162241.jpg

IMG_2133.JPG IMG_2132.JPG IMG_2131.JPG IMG_1970.JPG IMG_1945.JPG

This is how we do it. About $12 a bag. We are easily getting 3-5 years out of the Dino bags. If you stack the bag a little bit you can get a face cord and about another third of a face cord in them .

Patching your DECK with a D*CK. In 'Straya they are the same thing!

I wish I could make metal racks, that would be awesome. Having lots of issues with the wood already, patching, patching, patching. Might have to run wire between the side boards to keep em from folding outward. Still worth it not wheelbarrowing so much.

I wish I could make metal racks, that would be awesome. Having lots of issues with the wood already, patching, patching, patching. Might have to run wire between the side boards to keep em from folding outward. Still worth it not wheelbarrowing so much.

I would definitely recommend using wire - might have already early in this thread. String it across about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up & finish stacking on top of it. Wood on top holds things together nicely.

I use the IBC totes. They work great if you can get your hands on them. I cut about 3/4 of one of the sides out and stack wood in them. Currently have about 120 totes and will probably pick up some more once I start splitting wood again this fall since I only have 5 or 10 empty ones.

I got the metal at an auction maybe 6-7 years ago. I didn't pay much for it.

Back