MS 039 project help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New project guys, this one was straight gassed, but it looks like it’s gotten a little hot here with the black wood chips / dust?

Some how, although bone dry, the clutch drum needle bearing looks immaculate.

Besides engine work of course, in terms of the clutch area, what would you do here? Obviously strip and clean everything, replace that needle bearing? check Oiler and oil hose etc, would it be bad to reuse the clutch and clutch drum even if it seems ok? I just can’t tell how hot it’s gotten so not sure if the parts have lost their hardness / temper. It’s just a 15 USD saw I got online. Not spending anything unnecessary to get it working, just a fun little project. Not selling it. Advice would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Al parts are present

7B2FFCA4-741A-4EE9-AD65-3601886920CD.jpeg
C1A6323B-EA5B-44C4-93D0-DDBF3818006F.jpeg

It looks dirty, but I don’t see anything broken. I’ve worked on saws where the clutch area was packed with sludge and the clutch worked just fine. If the clutch springs are weak though, the chain will continue to spin no matter how low you set the idle. You can spin the clutch off and clean it up. If it’s all blue from excessive heat it might be weak and slipping, but that’s kinda rare. Usually if it was that hot you’d find melted plastic around it in these type of saws. I’m no clutch pro, maybe someone else will chime in.

Last owner probably ran used motor oil for chain lube.
And of cut lots of dirty (possibly burnt over) wood.
Agree with above- had it been burning the clutch, the band would be blue and the plastic melted.
039 eh?Slowly building up in size- is the next an 044? You would be stepping in to the world of "real" saws then :)

Last owner probably ran used motor oil for chain lube.
And of cut lots of dirty (possibly burnt over) wood.
Agree with above- had it been burning the clutch, the band would be blue and the plastic melted.
039 eh?Slowly building up in size- is the next an 044? You would be stepping in to the world of "real" saws then :)
Sounds good :) If I can get hold of a 044 for under 50 dollars then yes! Unlikely to happen though lol

It looks dirty, but I don’t see anything broken. I’ve worked on saws where the clutch area was packed with sludge and the clutch worked just fine. If the clutch springs are weak though, the chain will continue to spin no matter how low you set the idle. You can spin the clutch off and clean it up. If it’s all blue from excessive heat it might be weak and slipping, but that’s kinda rare. Usually if it was that hot you’d find melted plastic around it in these type of saws. I’m no clutch pro, maybe someone else will chime in.
Thanks for your advice mate, that’s perfect! :)

Sounds good :) If I can get hold of a 044 for under 50 dollars then yes! Unlikely to happen though lol

Yeah, na Aussie $50 might be asking a bit much- US$50........ well maybe- I just got a Husqvarna 288 for US$55 ish- so they are out there.
The thing you have to watch, if using genuine parts, you can spend near current retail value building junkers into homeowner grade saws- especially if you count your time and buy new toothbrushes for each basket case you find.
This one might just need a clean up and be good to go- but if you have to pull them to the last screw, replace all the rubbers, seals, bearings, piston, ring and or cylinder.........

Yeah, na Aussie $50 might be asking a bit much- US$50........ well maybe- I just got a Husqvarna 288 for US$55 ish- so they are out there.
The thing you have to watch, if using genuine parts, you can spend near current retail value building junkers into homeowner grade saws- especially if you count your time and buy new toothbrushes for each basket case you find.
This one might just need a clean up and be good to go- but if you have to pull them to the last screw, replace all the rubbers, seals, bearings, piston, ring and or cylinder.........
Yeah very true, I spent 500 Aussi dollars plus on my 260 but that had much sentimental value and I didn’t mind.

This one I will actually probably just test all the rubber lines with the Mityvac and if they hold, call it good. Same with seals and bearings for play and wear etc. If it ran fine, knowing it was just straight gassed, i’m not too concerned, it won’t see much use. Less than a few times a year.. I will always have at least two saws with me when I harvest wood. Old stihl parts will still be superior to new Chinese parts i’d Imagine. I will put a meteor piston, caber rings and stihl circlips in though

Good job cleaning. The 039/390 is a good saw. Owned a couple of them.

They are certainly a good capable saw. They get kind of a bad rap around here because they are heavier than the comparable pro saw. The Stihl clam shell saws are a bit tedious the first time tearing one down. After the first time no big deal.

They are certainly a good capable saw. They get kind of a bad rap around here because they are heavier than the comparable pro saw. The Stihl clam shell saws are a bit tedious the first time tearing one down. After the first time no big deal.
Good to hear :) I don’t mind the weight, it feels nice and balanced with a 20” bar. I picked up the 500i with a 25” and it felt horrible because I wasn’t use to the bar heavy feel ha.

Yes this is my 2nd clamshell I have taken apart I find them much easier than taking apart the pro line. They are a PITA!

Latest posts

Back