MS 241 c-m drum sprocket malfunction!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U R Stihl the 1

Reaction score
Hey all new to the forum here so bear with me. Truth be told I'm fairly new to the whole chainsaw obsession, but it's real and gotta say I love these little machines. That being said my first saw was a ms 250. I loved that little thing but decided to sell the 250 and get a 241 c-m that I've been looking at for awhile. Anyway bought the saw yesterday afternoon got it home and made some cuts though some blow down limbs from a recent storm 4-6" limbs. Messed around for about 20 and figured I'd get back at it today. Fired up the 241, oh by the way she's a little screamer(keep in mind the 250 is the only other saw I'd ever owned) and just a completely different machine and cutting experience. Love her! However today get back at it and not 2 min in and I'm mid cut through 6" limb of maple and my chainbrake spontaneously engages! I was like huh, thats odd but thought maybe i hadn't fully disengaged it prior to starting the cut. So i popped the brake and began finishing the cut and as I'm 90% through the limb I see a round piece of metal about the size of a quarter with a hole in the center sitting next to my foot. I knew this was part of my saw so I immediately shut her down. At that point noticed my chain had become pretty loose. Took off the sprocket cover and the drum and bearing had started to shift around and move away from the clutch towards the clutch cover and the e-clip was gone! I aplogize for the very long winded post here, as i said initially this is my first post. Hopefully I'll trim any future posts down considerably. I guess what I'm wondering is has anyone had a similar issue with the 241? Or any other Stihl saws? Is this a freak occurence? Called the dealer and I'm bringing it in tomorrow to make sure no damage was caused to clutch,bearing,sprocket,chain or bar. Thanks, look foward to any feedback or info anyone may have..✌

Yeah was thinking/hoping that may have been the issue. Side note there was no screen arrestor on the muff. At least where i thought it should be.....another oversight perhaps? Is it internal to the muffler? Not that its a major concern to me i guess but as I said, I'm new to a lot of this and was curious if it could affect m-tronic. Hasn't seemed to but throwing it out there. Thats another one for the dealer tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey all new to the forum here so bear with me. Truth be told I'm fairly new to the whole chainsaw obsession, but it's real and gotta say I love these little machines. That being said my first saw was a ms 250. I loved that little thing but decided to sell the 250 and get a 241 c-m that I've been looking at for awhile. Anyway bought the saw yesterday afternoon got it home and made some cuts though some blow down limbs from a recent storm 4-6" limbs. Messed around for about 20 and figured I'd get back at it today. Fired up the 241, oh by the way she's a little screamer(keep in mind the 250 is the only other saw I'd ever owned) and just a completely different machine and cutting experience. Love her! However today get back at it and not 2 min in and I'm mid cut through 6" limb of maple and my chainbrake spontaneously engages! I was like huh, thats odd but thought maybe i hadn't fully disengaged it prior to starting the cut. So i popped the brake and began finishing the cut and as I'm 90% through the limb I see a round piece of metal about the size of a quarter with a hole in the center sitting next to my foot. I knew this was part of my saw so I immediately shut her down. At that point noticed my chain had become pretty loose. Took off the sprocket cover and the drum and bearing had started to shift around and move away from the clutch towards the clutch cover and the e-clip was gone! I aplogize for the very long winded post here, as i said initially this is my first post. Hopefully I'll trim any future posts down considerably. I guess what I'm wondering is has anyone had a similar issue with the 241? Or any other Stihl saws? Is this a freak occurence? Called the dealer and I'm bringing it in tomorrow to make sure no damage was caused to clutch,bearing,sprocket,chain or bar. Thanks, look foward to any feedback or info anyone may have..✌
I had that happen once on my MS261, and replaced the ring that holds the drive sprocket with a thicker one my Stihl dealer had (the one you’d find on a MS461) and it hasn’t happened again. Stihl also makes a spur sprocket for the MS241, which is what came on mine when I bought new about 5 years ago. The 241 is an awesome saw that you’re actually lucky to find since Stihl stopped making them at their Virginia USA plant 3 or 4 years ago. Enjoy the 241 awesomeness!

Latest posts

Back