MS 241?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red97

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took my dad into the stihl dealer yester day to pick up some chains, I was trying to get him to buy a MS 362, to replace his 290 farm boss. He said the 362 was too heavy.

As we were leaving he said "if he were to buy a new saw it would be a light weight, high horsepower 40cc with 14" bar and a stihl.

I think the ms 241 fits the bill pretty good. For the people who have run them are they better suited with a 14" or 16" bar? He cuts about 5-8 cord a year.

I suggested to my mom that we should get him a new saw for Christmas I just don't want him to be disappointed with the ms241

Thank you
joe

The MS241 is a pretty dang nice saw. I love mine, but I am biased being a dealer. The $550 price tag is steep, but at 5-8 cords it would last forever. I use mine with a 16" .325 bar. It came with an 18" .050 Picco bar. It will handle either bar just fine in 14" birch. The m-tronic makes it nice to not have to worry about carb adjustments.

The MS241 is a pretty dang nice saw. I love mine, but I am biased being a dealer. The $550 price tag is steep, but at 5-8 cords it would last forever. I use mine with a 16" .325 bar. It came with an 18" .050 Picco bar. It will handle either bar just fine in 14" birch. The m-tronic makes it nice to not have to worry about carb adjustments.
Or a MS 261 one or the other. Type and size wood will be cut?

Play it safe and see that he has both bars. I have an MS-261 C-M and I have a 20" and a 16" b/c set-up for it.

I know a guy that bought a 241 just a little while ago. He loves it. He cuts about as much as your dad does.

Look at a 261 C-M if you can. Not that much difference in price.

The MS241 is of course the only option if he wants a Stihl - but what does he mean by "high horsepower"?

Og with the 16" bar, it isn't even 15" really. ;)

Play it safe and see that he has both bars. I have an MS-261 C-M and I have a 20" and a 16" b/c set-up for it.

I know a guy that bought a 241 just a little while ago. He loves it. He cuts about as much as your dad does.
Hey I would like to know how that 241 compares to the 261 cause I have a 261 and was wondering if the 241 is enough?

Hey I would like to know how that 241 compares to the 261 cause I have a 261 and was wondering if the 241 is enough?
It all depends what you are doing MCW (member here) swears he can fell more trees in a day with a 241 (small trees) than he can a 261 due to the better fuel economy. It is slower in the cut, though. In my opinion, if you are bucking 14"+ firewood, a 261 will hand the 241's it's ass all day long.

I haven't run my 261 against the 241. I might go over this weekend though if he's home. He's an OTR trucker and has some weird down-time periods.

The 261 is a much more powerful saw. And it gets stupid powerful when you remove the muffler baffle.

The 241 is a good little saw. I basically got mine in trade. For it's price, though, I would likely go with a 261 or a 550 instead.

Back