MS 250 won’t start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a saw from a buddy who says his saw won’t start. Upon a quick check getting fuel/spark everything looks good. Has 128 compression, I pulled the muffler and it looks fine no marks at all on the piston. Could this saw maybe need new rings? I won’t even pop with a shot of starting fluid.

Mmm...even with a seal leak I'd think it would at least give a pop.
I'll assume you just pulled plug to see spark... I'd use a new plug and inline spark tester.
I've heard others complain plugs are wet easily during otherwise normally accepted starting procedures.
I guess a thought would be to examine plug after a failed start and decide your next step.
Vacuum/pressure test is in order for a more definitive diagnosis.

The 250 is notorious for finicky starting, and easy to flood. It's choke on, pull until fire, then choke off and start. The problem is it's hard to hear or feel the first fire, and even one more pull with choke will flood. It's a feel thing, once you learn to identify the first fire, you're good.

Hold the throttle open and pull with the chike off a few times. One of the worst saws about flooding.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Copy I will try some of these to see if I can get it to go. I even put a new a/m coil on to see if I could get it to go and nothing. He’s been running stihl fuel in it so I don’t think it’s a bad gas/carb issue.

Back